Study finds genetic links between schizophrenia and cannabis use

(Reuters) - Genes that increase the risk of a person developing schizophrenia may also increase the chance they will use cannabis, researchers said on Tuesday after studying more than 1,000 users of the drug.

The results chime with previous studies linking schizophrenia and cannabis, but suggest the association may be due to common genes and might not be a causal relationship where cannabis use leads to increased schizophrenia risk.

Cannabis is the most widely used illicit drug in the world, and its use is higher among people with schizophrenia than in the general population.

in.reuters.com/article/2014/06/24/health-cannabis-idINKBN0EZ0NU20140624

This does not surprise me, since a dear family friend experienced just such a thing with her pot-smoking adult child. This person started acting irrationally, eventually going around like a homeless person, which was completely out of character for this young adult both before and (thankfully) after using pot. The doctors told her there is well-documented evidence that for an individual already disposed toward schizophrenia, cannabis can and often does trigger a psychotic break. This article gives an interesting possible reason for why this is so. Whenever I see anything like this brought up online however, the pro-cannabis crowd quickly denounces the possibility. As recreational use becomes more prevalent, we will see more of this.

add a loss of 8 points of IQ to the mix.

Have you noticed that the states making medical marijuana legal with zero research that it is safe and effective, no dosage studies, and no regulation of the strength of the product sold, would never allow any other drug to be openly sold without those requirements?

Pot must be a miracle drug and we know that by faith rather than reason.:rolleyes:

And now it’s recreational. Good job, America!

Oh, I don’t know. I bet legalizing recreational cocaine, speed or valium would have a reasonably good shot to pass in Washington State these days. :wink: We desperately need the revenue and don’t really worry too much about moral scruples. They are considered discriminatory and right wing.

Do you think telling people what they can and cannot put in their bodies is more moral then allowing people, be it good or bad, to consume what they wish? Do you think it is moral to put people in prison just for consuming something?

The article doesn’t say that using will lead to schizophrenia, just that if you are predisposed to schizophrenia you have an increased risk of being predisposed to using cannabis. This study says nothing about it causing mental illness.

Neither did I. I’m not sounding alarm bells like “Reefer Madness” of old, but there are apparently enough individuals predisposed to certain types of mental illness where the increased availability of cannabis will become problematic. If we as a society are going to go this way, toward the legalization of pot, we need to do it with our eyes open.

Okay, I misunderstood. In that case I agree. I think it’s clear that use by teens can be bad so that would be my main concern.

I’m not 100% for legalization anyway, I tend to be more in favor of decriminalization for small amounts. I’m not an activist either way though, I’ll just wait and see.

I agree, it is wrong to tell a person what they can and cannot put in their own bodies.

Plus, if you look back to when drug laws were first started, you will see they were very racist reasons, they enacted certain drug laws JUST to keep certain races of people out of certain parts of town, this was the only way they could find to achieve what they wanted.

Unfortunately nowadays drug laws are pretty much kept in place for sake of greed, Govts want to be able to seize anything and everything they can, look at all the high priced cars, homes, other property the US Govt seizes thru drug laws and uses that revenue to their benefit.

IMO, if it was truly about public safety and health, then we would not have legalized tobacco products…If they care so much about the publics health, why is it still legal for anyone over the age of 18 to go buy and smoke an entire carton of cigarettes in one day?

Moderation is the key to using anything, ANY drug can be used in moderation.

Do you think heroin can be used in moderation? Who determines what is moderate? Who determines what a moderate amount of marijuana is?

I have or had (dissapeared) a half brother who became a heavy pot smoker in high school. At about the same time he showed signs of schizophrenia. He has been hospitalized several times for it. Like many people with the same illness he thinks his medication is poison and he stops taking it. It is an endless cycle go off meds, he gets so bad he is hospitalized where they get him on meds again. Released he goes off the meds and back in hospital.

I don’t know which came first, the marijuana or the paranoid schizophrenia but is his case they appeared at about the same time.

Whether an it can be used in moderation or not is irrelevant. The fundamental question at the heart of the issue is this: Do people have the right to choose what they can or cannot put in their own bodies, whether it hurts or helps them, or does society have a right to decide that for them, even if it imposes costs on others? Do people have the right to harm themselves or does society have a right to stop people from harming themselves, even if it imposes costs on others?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.