Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

“Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies…”

That is very disturbing. HFCS has no nutritional value and I can not believe how many foods have this.

This one of the reasons why so many Americans are overweight. I try not to feed my kids that have more than one ingredient or has ingredients I can pronounce. Like tonight it is fish and broccoli.

To be fair, the article goes on to state the views of the food industry which disputes the findings.It’s good to read the entire article.

Hey, fish and broccoli is a darn good meal! I try to stay away from processed foods too. I’ve been told that staying to the outside of the grocery store is the best place to get foods because once you get into the isles that’s where all the boxed stuff is that is highly processed.

In Christ,
Rand

Hey, fish and broccoli is a darn good meal! I try to stay away from processed foods too. I’ve been told that staying to the outside of the grocery store is the best place to get foods because once you get into the isles that’s where all the boxed stuff is that is highly processed.

I have been limiting processed food for about 3 months now and can really feel the difference. Keeping to the outside of the store is working for me.

John

Down the road from my office, no more than 150 yards, there is a railroad freight yard. Everyday, tankers full of corn syrup arrives and is picked up by large tanker trucks to be delivered throughout New England.

If you saw the amount of tanker train cars that arrive, and the number of trucks going in and out, you’d think they were moving
something of high value, like oil, but instead, its just corn syrup.

BTW, if you want to learn some disturbing facts about corn, how its farmed, and processed, get yourself the book, “The Omnivores Dilemma,” by Michael Pollan.

I was shocked to learn, that there are only three companies in the that purchase 80% of all the corn, that is produced in the US. These three companies turn corn into cattle feed, corn syrup and other food additives that are found in just about every processed food that you see in your supermarket.

Its probably the main cause of the obesity epidemic among young people in the USA.

Jim

How much mercury in the fish?

Depends on the type of fish.

This is why we need strengthened aquaculture, so we can cut down on this sort of thing. Maybe we can then have fish with more Omega-3s and less mercury.

Farm-raised fish taste like fish feed.And guess who produces the fish feed? Big corporate companies that also probably have a share in the corn syrup industry.
It all goes around.Sounds like older technology’s what’s the problem with any mercury traces in corn syrup.
Avoiding over processed food’s a good idea, though.

wasn’t high fructose corn syrup introduced into our foods in the late 70’s or 80’s? i remember growing up in the 50’s and 60’s and i became a young adult in the early 70’s and very few of us had weight problems. why doesn’t the FDA do something about this harmful product if they know it is behind the obesity epidemic?
could this be the reason so many children are also diabetic and are being diagnosed with autism?

mercury’s link to autism is not readily established. The arguments for it are weak, and the correlation in the studies is always very weak.

Mercury’s general toxicity is well known.

Which is whyyyyyyyyyy we need it.

Need what?:confused:

Sorry, I shouldn’t have been flip – I just remember people folks refusing to eat fish a few years back after a mercury scare.
All in all, I’m sure you’re better off with a few parts per million of Hg contained in fish than in corn syrup.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.