Study: More U.S. Latinos shift and drift outside the Catholic Church

WASHINGTON A report on the “Shifting Religious Identity of Latinos” reads very much like a biography of Fernando Alcantar.

Like six in 10 Hispanic Catholics in the U.S., he was born in Mexico, where “you are Catholic as much as you are Mexican. You like jalapenos and worship the Virgin of Guadalupe,” he said.

But once he moved to California after high school, his faith journey diverged – and derailed. Today, Alcantar, 36, calls himself a humanist.

charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/19/4989986/study-more-us-latinos-shift-and.html

[LEFT][/LEFT]

This is very sad :frowning: I have noticed this a lot too. This happens a lot with Cubans too. Unfortunately children of Hispanic in the us get absorbed by the secular culture I think Hispanic parents have a stronger job of keeping our culture including our catholic religion.

As a hispanic born of immigrant Catholic parents, I can say that it is not so much the secular culture of America but the anti-Catholic atmosphere. Its why the Irish and Italian Catholic immigrants were discriminated against in years past. American ‘Christians’ are inherently anti-Catholic.

I took Spanish in college, and my very proud Mexican immigrant professor put it like this: “Every Mexican is born a Catholic and every Mexican dies a Catholic. What happens in between is suspect.”

I see a lot of Latinos going evangelical, pentecostal. They seem to like the enthusiasm. But I haven’t seen a lot of Latino humanists.

What do you expect when America keeps insisting “assimilation”, assimilate into mainstream American culture? No thanks.

Yes I agree. Many here in the southwest are evangelical but more are pentecostal. I believe there are also many Mormons in Mexico.

Granted there are also many who are Catholic

Pentacostalism is really growing. Not sure if pentecostals are
anticatholic like SDA.

I thought several of your states actually have Catholicism as part of the cultural identity?

How many of these studies does it take to convince us that ethnicity, is in no way, indicative of fidelity?

A few months ago, articles were seen in which Church officials touted “immigration reform” as the re-birth of American Catholicism!

This is the bad part about our people coming here they begin to want to live like Americans, they forget about our traditions, our history our language.

I think well eventually get some of these souls back as local parishes are slowly but surely evangelizing their communities.

There are still faithful American Catholics and although I do believe in preserving one’s own culture through family traditions (much of my husband’s Italian culture was lost by immigrants on his side) it does not speak well for Catholics of *any *heritage to lose their life-line which is their faith. Neither language, nor history nor tradition can keep one from straying from the Truth of the faith. It is only the will and heart-felt conviction to stay close to God and His Church.

Actually Spanish preceded English on the American continents, though of course other languages preceded those two.

As for Catholicism in the U.S., it barely existed until the mid-19th century.

Unfortunately that wasn’t true for those Poles who broke with the Church simply because they weren’t allowed to teach Polish in their schools. (They became the Polish National Church.) It seems for the most part, it was either assimilation into the American culture or go back to Europe. I read where 70% of the Poles at one time returned to Poland.

Just as clarification, being Hispanic or Latin American is not an ethnicity. Having clarified that I agree that nationality is not a guarantee if fidelity but in the USA and Europe out of the 100% of Catholics the actual number of practicing Catholics is low. The contrast with the Latin american countries is that out of the total percentage of Catholics inside the country, a huge majority are practicing catholics. However is true, for some reason when many of them come to the US many of their children tend to abandon catholicism or become cafeteria Catholics. I think is part of the secular culture that is abundant in the US. I also think it has to do with the fact the US churches are way more permissible than the catholic churches in Latin America. Because the church is so permissible then is easier to become a cafeteria catholic while being submerged in the secular culture.

A lot of the new churches are made by white Americans. Most of them occurred here in the USA just check the history in the 1800s.

But like you said about your husband, it’s sad in my opinion, that people come here from no matter where they come whether it’s Latin America, Europe, Asia, ppl come and they want the secular America.

What I mean with that as a Mexican American, is that many men and women from my background are ashamed to speak Spanish, to follow family history, to simply say hello, good morning good afternoon. This all happens bc here it’s about the money god.

Well it doesn’t matter much, but I always had the understanding that ethnicity pertained more to culture.

Having clarified that I agree that nationality is not a guarantee if fidelity but in the USA and Europe out of the 100% of Catholics the actual number of practicing Catholics is low. The contrast with the Latin american countries is that out of the total percentage of Catholics inside the country, a huge majority are practicing catholics. However is true, for some reason when many of them come to the US many of their children tend to abandon catholicism or become cafeteria Catholics. I think is part of the secular culture that is abundant in the US. I also think it has to do with the fact the US churches are way more permissible than the catholic churches in Latin America. Because the church is so permissible then is easier to become a cafeteria catholic while being submerged in the secular culture.

Not sure I agree with this, in fact I can think of an argument that might refute it. If Latinos are, by and large, more faithful in practicing their faith in their native land and their churches more obedient, would that not give them a more abundant spiritual life upon which to draw? We are all inundated with daily temptations; I refuse to watch sitcoms for example, because I know most often they will make a mockery out of my belief system. No matter where we turn, contraception, gay sex and immoral living await at every corner. Surely you cannot be saying that the grace God gives me to resist this is greater than the grace He gives to Latinos. Anyone who has lived a sacramental life and holds to truth is pretty much on an even par. Sin is sin and Satan has no boundaries as far as the color of skin - he accepts all gladly. I also disregard the argument that Latinos suffer more greatly from the secular culture - look what has happened to Ireland as just one example!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.