Studying Catholic Theology

Hey all,

In the past year, I've felt a strong call to study Catholic theology in graduate school, either to teach or to directly serve the Church. I want to help spread the Gospel and clear up the rampant misunderstandings regarding our faith among Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

Anyway, I'm in my junior year of college and I haven't taken any classes specifically on the topics of theology or philosophy, and I don't know where to go from here. I've been in contact with some academics who know more about the topic and what I should do, but do you have any advice? What schools should I be looking at? Should I enroll in another undergraduate program and study theology before attempted graduate level work? What seminal works should I familiarize myself with (other than the Bible)?

You do not need a bachelor's degree in theology to study it at the graduate level. In most cases, you may need to take a few undergrad level courses to "catch up", but each school should let you know about that when you inquire.

There are going to be strengths and weaknesses wherever you go. If you're looking to teach in a Catholic school setting -- or if you want to be a DRE or even someday work at the diocesan level -- you might consider Franciscan University of Steubenville. You can get a specialization in catechetics there which prepares you well for that sort of work. Or you can even take courses via Distance Learning (which is significantly cheaper). You could take a course or two by that method to test the waters.

Definitely take it to prayer. A graduate degree in theology is not the path to financial security.:p Be sure you can live with that before you go down that road.

doing Catechist training would be the first step i would suggest, as the previous poster mentioned - i am sure your diocese would offer some type of programme along those lines.

my dear brother,study clearly what you are trying to study for there are many misconceptions among christians about the oness of god and relate god with JESUS,but its not so.....Jesus never claimed divinity in his whole life..He is pure from all such allegations of divinity....
Jesus said:
(i) "My Father is greater than I."
[The Bible, John 14:28]

{bro why is he claiming himself lower than God, it is because he(Jesus) is not God}

(ii) "My Father is greater than all."
[The Bible, John 10:29]

{claiming again the superiority of God over all creation that includes Jesus also}

(iii) "…I cast out devils by the Spirit of God…."
[The Bible, Mathew 12:28]

{Jesus proves that he does the things with the help of god}

(iv) "…I with the finger of God cast out devils…."
[The Bible, Luke 11:20]

{{Jesus proves that he does the things with the help of god}

(v) "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgement is just; because I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."
[The Bible, John 5:30]

{Jesus say that he can himself do nothing,,what he hears he judges that,}}}What has become to your understanding..
UNVEIL UR BRAIN AND MAKE UR RIGHT JUDGEMENT IN IDENTIFYING A REAL GOD....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.