"Stuff White People Like"

I don’t know how many have already heard of this website (or its subsequent book), but I think it is awfully insightful at poking fun at the silly things that “white people” invest their identities in (myself included). Some of the humor is kind of humbling, actually

Despite the title, the demographic the author pokes fun at is much more particular than all American white. It mainly targets, affluent, liberal, urban whites from their 20s-40s (of which the author claims to be a himself). But, for anyone who has lived in a major city that is being highly gentrified, referring to them as “white people” in general, makes perfect sense.

Some of my favorites:

Religions their parents don’t belong to

Organic Food
Hating their parents
Promoting Awareness
Public Radio
Bicycles
Grammar
Being Offended

Enjoy!

That site is hilarious! The thread here about someone wanting to move out of the country reminded me of this: stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/24/75-threatening-to-move-to-canada/

I was almost gonna post it there, but it seemed like they were dead serious. :rotfl::rotfl:

Funny stuff!

I discovered the site this week.

Personal favorite so far is #96 - New Balance Shoes

I know that Canada is a good place, if you are Asian but your family background has white, so you can’t really in to any Asian or Caucasian culture. I believe Canada is a quiet place to settle in old age.

You folks should check out the book, too! The entries are even more thorough and there are plenty of things in there that aren’t on the website…

I just really think that Lander (the author) has done quite a great job at exposing and making fun of the cultural irrationalism that is prevalent as a result of a post-industrial society.

This other satirical piece he has is really funny too. Albeit, more controversial.

:rotfl: thanks for posting this!

The article about moving to Canada is hilarious. :smiley:

As a white person, the thing that makes me grunt “white people” and shake my head in disapproval most frequently is in vitro fertilization. I’m not sure if it is on the “stuff white people like” list. It probably isn’t the right kind of humor. Infact, it isn’t humorous at all. :frowning:

Peacoats, promising to learn a new language, moleskin notebooks, graduate school, sushi, tea, wine, microbreweries, St. Patrick’s Day :thumbsup: :shrug: I guess I’m fairly white. :rotfl:

I never knew just how white I was!

Paul

I have seen that scientists say that all human races origin are from Asia, it might be right, because Genesis 2:7-8: “then the LORD God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being. And the LORD God planted a garden in Eden, in the east; and there he put the man whom he had formed.” See, first man in Eden, and Eden in the east, and we all came from him, all races.
My friends told me that if your family blood line is from different line, like Asia and white, not from close relative blood line, you are either wise or beautiful.

This is blog is pretty funny and is correct about me on many things. Haha oh well…it can be great to laugh at oneself.

From what I read it’s not really that funny. IMO.

Perhaps it hits a little too close to home??:smiley:

I’ll grant you that some are pretty dry though…

I guess I just don’t see how the little essays are funny. White people like halloween. White people like riding bikes. That’s funny? I thought those were parts of life.

Whatever.

I think a lot of it depends on where in the country you live. A lot of the things profiled in the blog seem to apply most to “hipsters,” young white people who gentrify slightly run-down neighborhoods and live a sort of “poverty chic” lifestyle. Here in Philly this blog really hits home.

Coffee, Juno, NPR (including podcasts), microbreweries (or at least the beer), Daily Show/Colbert Report.

But there’s a lot of stuff on there that I hate like Apple products, or at least Appleheads, “knowing what’s best for poor people” (I work in a shelter), veganism, marijuana, and religions my parents don’t belong to.

I guess I’m white but not the kind of white they’re talking about.

Yeah, how 'bout it? :smiley:

How could you hate Apple products?

It’s obviously not a catalogue of things ALL white people like. The idea is, if you’re white, you’re probably going identify with several items on the list. Maybe if you took a hit or two of that marijuana you hate so much you could find a little of the humor here.

I think if I started a list called “stuff black people like” and then listed watermellon, fried chicken, and rap music I’d be called racist. I don’t see the difference here.

thomasf, you don’t think the difference might be that the creator of Things White People Like happens to be a white person? How is what he’s doing racist? What a ridiculous thing to say.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.