Stuffing or dressing?

[quote="Tenebrae, post:1, topic:219913"]
So, are you going to stuff your turkey or make a pan of dressing separately? And what kind are you going to make? These days they warn you not to cook the stuffing inside the bird. My mother always did, and nothing ever happed to us on account of it.

[/quote]

What is the reason to not stuff the bird? I use the same recipe as my mom did while I was growing up. The turkey gets stuffed. When it's done, we do the "oohhh ahhhs" Then we take it out after the bird is done. No one ever got sick from it.

[quote="kinshipknight, post:20, topic:219913"]
Amost always do the separate thing. It's been several years since I saw it done inside the turkey. Why is that?

Cook Book Club

[/quote]

It makes it look pretty.

[quote="snowflakes, post:22, topic:219913"]
It makes it look pretty.

[/quote]

Which? Not putting it inside, or doing it?

Cook Book Club

[quote="kinshipknight, post:20, topic:219913"]
Amost always do the separate thing. It's been several years since I saw it done inside the turkey. Why is that?

Cook Book Club

[/quote]

Why is it not done inside the turkey anymore? For health reasons, I guess. These days nutritionists will tell you that if the turkey is not cooked through properly, there is the possibility of bacterial growth in the stuffing if it is in the bird's cavity.

[quote="Tenebrae, post:24, topic:219913"]
Why is it not done inside the turkey anymore? For health reasons, I guess. These days nutritionists will tell you that if the turkey is not cooked through properly, there is the possibility of bacterial growth in the stuffing if it is in the bird's cavity.

[/quote]

It's just those killjoy dieticians who have nothing better to do than scare people. Our mothers all put the stuffing in the turkey, didn't they? Are we dead? No!

I really like stuffing. Seems to have worked OK whether it was inside or outside.

Cookbook Club

I do too. I froze the broth from the Thanksgiving turkey to make stuffing to have with the Christmas ham. Best part of the meal, in my opinion. I even like stovetop, but I don’t make it very often.

Putting it inside. It makes it look pretty because it’s all fluffed out at the opening of the turkey. I always cook stuffing inside the turkey. The directions on the turkey wrapping says how look to cook it stuffed or unstuffed. When it is done, everyone looks at it and they give the oooo and aahhhs, then we take the stuffing out and put it in the bowl for serving.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.