Stunned and sad. What can I do?

I was on a website, and it had one of those things on it saying “Since you opened this website, __________ babies have died from abortion.” I just couldn’t stop looking at it. There was a picture of a developing baby, and it had fingers and eyelids and everything. Looking at it, I got so, so sad. It’s a person.
So now i’m wondering…what exaclty does the Bible say about abortion? What have Jesus and Mary said about it in their apparations?
I want to help stop abortion, but I don’t know how. What are some prayers I can say? Some things I can do?
Thanks.

It’s really hard, the best way to stop abortion would be to somehow ensure that every pregnancy was a wanted pregnancy. For Catholics this would mean making sure everyone knows how to use effective NFP methods.

Another thing that can be helped is addressing the reasons why women have abortions. Many women have abortions because they feel they cannot afford to raise another child, that pregnancy would be too difficult for them, things like that. So any financial and medical assistance that can be given to these women might make it more likely that they will keep the babies. Of course this is not something most of us can do unless we are very rich. But maybe if everyone donates a little bit, a difference can be made in some woman’s life.

Pray the rosary and the divine mercy with intentions!!

It makes me so sad too. I often dwell on it because once I read up on the actual procedure… And sometimes when I talk about it, like saying, my school would probably have two or three more stories if there was no abortion. I would have so many more amazing friends, and maybe a really good catholic boyfriend too. I try not to fixate on abortion because it’s so disturbing… Somebody said to me that it’s not good to get really extremist pro-life. And I wanted to say, well was it wrong to be extremist anti- the Holocaust?

I wouldn’t look at the pictures of aborted babies if I were you. They will break your heart:(

Hi Ashka!

This is what you are looking for

And more:

ewtn.com/vlibrary/search2.asp

Our God is good!! And He has called us to defend life - His greatest gift to us! Keep praying; that’s the first and most powerful thing you can do. You can also make sure that everyone around you knows what abortion is! That they are not only calling themselves pro-life, but are living that way (voting pro-life, not using contraception, etc.)! All the children who die everyday in abortion cannot speak for themselves, but we can speak for them! So please, every little bit helps in the pro-life movement. Start with your friends and family. We are stronger in numbers!

“Where there is life, there is hope.”
~A message from PriestsforLife

Blessings,
Therese

Hi ashka,

One of the best things you can do is be educated on the issues and the arguments presented for and against abortion. We have apologists for the faith, and we need them for the issue of life also.

I have many sites I could refer you to, but one of the best (because of the wide range of issues addressed and the simplicity of how the issues are explained) IMO is Scott Klusendorf’s site, prolifetraining.com He has a link on his page to “The 5-minute Pro-Lifer” which is a way to present the Pro-Life side of issues if you only have a short time to discuss it. He uses a simple acronym SLED to contrast the slight differences between a newborn and a developing fetus that is surprisingly simple to remember AND it is very effective.

Lots of other good info on his site. Klusendorf is not a Catholic, but he has been in the anti-abortion business for a while and knows what he’s talking about. You can learn a lot there.

Pray every day for God to forgive our trespasses and take this evil away from us.

God Bless you Ashka!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) teaches us;

"Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

You shall not kill the embryo by abortion and shall not cause the newborn to perish.

God, the Lord of life, has entrusted to men the noble mission of safeguarding life, and men must carry it out in a manner worthy of themselves. Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes." (CCC 2271).

“From its conception, the child has the right to life. Direct abortion, that is, abortion willed as an end or as a means, is a “criminal” practice (GS 27 § 3), gravely contrary to the moral law. The Church imposes the canonical penalty of excommunication for this crime against human life.” (CCC 2322).

Sacred Scripture tells us;“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you, that their angels in heaven continually behold the face of My Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 18:10)

"Did not He who made me in the womb make him, And the same one fashion us in the womb? (Job 31:15)

Yet Thou art He who didst bring me forth from the womb; Thou didst make me trust when upon my mother's breasts. Upon Thee I was cast from birth; Thou hast been my God from my mother's womb. (Psalm 22:9-10)

For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from Thee, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. (Psalm 139:13-16)

Thus says the LORD who made you And formed you from the womb, who will help you, `Do not fear, O Jacob My servant; And you Jeshurun whom I have chosen. (Isaiah 44:2)

Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, "I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself, And spreading out the earth all alone, (Isaiah 44:24)

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5)

Even non-Christians in the first century AD knew that abortion was a grave evil! "Flavius Josephus, a well-known Jewish historian who described the destruction of Jerusalem, wrote: "The law, moreover enjoins us to bring up all our offspring, and forbids women to cause abortion of what is begotten, or to destroy it afterward; and if any woman appears to have so done, she will be a murderer of her child, by destroying a living creature, and diminishing humankind."

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

Keep pestering your Congressman.

Vote.

Red Letter Campaign

Pray

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.