Submission to God's Will always obligatory?

Regardless of whether I SHOULD say “Thy Will be done in all things,” is it a mortal sin (i.e, against the 1st Commandment, & setting up a competing god) for me to REFUSE to say “Thy Will be done in all things”?

(I see nothing in the Catechism to indicate that one MUST, for entrance into Heaven, agree with God’s Will in all things, but that’s exactly what my priest refused to absolve me over today. But I think that absolute conformity to God’s Will is only a “Counsel of Perfection,” for mature Christians.)

The priest has the ability to refuse absolution if he has reason to believe that the penitent does not firmly resolve to amend their life.

Peace.

1 Like

No, why would God let someone into heaven who didn’t want it to be God’s will that was done?

Literally, THE original sin was that Adam didn’t do God’s will, but his own.

Going to another priest is dangerous and won’t give you absolution for what was denied. It only compounds your sin.

So rather than ask if your priest was wrong, you should change your ways.

But is it a mortal sin?

Then why would God allow you into heaven?
You are putting yourself over God. That’s literally the reason we are where we are.

But is it a mortal sin?

No. You haven’t. When you say, “my will over God’s” you are breaking his commandments because you are loving yourself more than you are loving God.

We should submit, we dont always because were imperfect.

@ThomasBall - So where exactly does it say in the Bible or official Church Teaching that one should love God more than oneself?

Jesus didn’t say, “Hey, I don’t want to suffer on a cross so I’m not going to”

He said, “Father, I don’t want to do this, please take this cup from me. But even though I don’t want to do this, I will do this for you, your will be done, not mine

Are you for real?

Try Luke 9:23
Luke 9:23-24

And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.

The original post is vague. The confessor, acting in the person of Christ, has the power to absolve or not absolve a penitent, and one must give the benefit of the doubt that he acted prudently and justly.

So, at this point, if I were in your shoes, I would reflect on why I am not contrite or cooperating with God on something, and then pray that it can be resolved so that I can go back to the priest and receive absolution.

Peace.

If you think the Bible doesn’t say we aren’t to love God more than ourselves you need to go back and reread it.

Yes, I’m for real.
Jesus was making the perfect sacrifice.
We Catholics, on the other hand, need the sacrament of Confession PRECISELY BECAUSE our degree of sorrow for our sins does not rise to the level of pure Contrition, but is often only mere Attrition.
That would seem to say, wouldn’t it, that Jesus’s comment “Not my will, but yours be done” is the apex, an exceptional sacrifice, not something that EVERYONE is always obliged to do, wouldn’t it?
Or can the weak-in-faith not be saved unless they become strong-in-faith ?
So again-- Where exactly does it say in the Bible or official Church Teaching that one should love God more than oneself?

No. It is what everyone is supposed to do. It’s supposed to be us saying that, with Christ.

Christ tells us to carry our cross. Christ tells us if we are to live we must give up our own life and desire.

Christ says whoever loves his own family more than than God hates God.

Christ says we have to decrease.

All the saints in the Bible tell us to give up our will for God.

There is nothing in any part of the Church that says we can make our will over God, or love ourselves more than God. That is literally why the fall happened, that is literally why the entire Bible is here. That is why Original sin exists and we needed Jesus anyways.

How is it vague?
That latter suggestion of yours can’t be done, at least not without TREMENDOUS GRACE, but Sirach 15 says that “If you will, you can keep the commandments,” as if it is easy.

@ThomasBall -
He says, “whoever does not take up his cross, or loves mother father, etc. more than me . . .
. . . IS NOT WORTHY OF ME.”
He does not say that they cannot be saved.

Brother,

Whatever you think is impossible, it is possible with God.

2055 When someone asks him, "Which commandment in the Law is the greatest?"8 Jesus replies: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.