Submission to God's Will always obligatory?

You being saved in this case would be you putting God’s will over your own. If you put your will over his, you aren’t worthy which means you aren’t saved. He can change that, but until you cooperate you aren’t going to heaven.

No one is fully saved until the end. When they persevere and are judged based on their love of God, thats when they are saved.

If you love yourself more than God, and don’t desire to change that is telling us that you don’t love God.

@ThomasBall -
Thank you. And do you, or anybody, for that matter, fulfill this 1st & Greatest commandment?
Or rather, is it perhaps a standard/counsel-of-perfection to be aimed at, and achieved to the degree that one has supernatural Charity?

Yes, people who put God’s will over there own fulfill it. At least we desire it, even if we fail.

There is a difference between failing to do it, but trying to do it, and outright saying, “No, I don’t intend to amend my life because I want to love myself and live the way I want to live.”

I don’t always do what God wants, but I desire to. I fail because I have other problems and addictions that hold me back. I am amending that.

I am also willing to sacrifice everything I have for God, even if it means living with nothing I want.

That’s the difference.

So yes, there are a lot of people here that fulfill it.

@ThomasBall - Does God only save those who are worthy of him, or does He also, in His mercy, save some who are in fact unworthy of Him, as they confess to be, at the “Domine non sum dignus”?

The ones he save are the ones who want to do His will.

But you saying, “of course I don’t intend to amend my life, I want my own will” like you said earlier is saying you don’t want to be saved.

When you amend your life and put his will over yours, his absolution is your salvation.

You broke the first commandment, you did so willingly, because you made yourself and idol. You made your will above his.

The only way to rectify that is to accept his grace, repent, and receive absolution. Repentance means changing your life.

For the record:
I do want His will, in ESSENTIALS, which is keeping that 10 Commandments.
But in peripherals, i.e., whether I should be an average Christian, or a saint, at this time, I wish for my own will.
I am taking a mediocre route
I was taught in moral theology, at Christendom College, that one “Need not do all the good that they COULD do,” that is, perfectly obey all the POSITIVE “thou shalts”; one need only perfectly obey the NEGATIVE “thou shalt not’s.”
So I just want to know whether NOT saying the “Thy will be done,” in the Lord’s Prayer, is violating a “Thou shalt not.”

You are asking anonymous people on the internet if something is a mortal sin. Really? You went to confession and the priest refused to absolve you of something you confessed to him. You are asking people to judge your sin that we know nothing of and do not want to know of.

2 Likes

You are creating an idol of yourself and putting yourself over God, so yes that is a mortal sin. That is breaking the first commandment.

Also, Sacred Scripture tells us God spits out the lukewarm.

First, you seem to be certain about what the will of God is in a particular circumstance (the one that absolution was withheld). So if that’s the case, it would depend on the gravity of the matter. If it requires absolution, is it a grave matter?

I don’t think that refusing to do the will of God is necessarily a mortal sin. It depends if the criteria for mortal sin have been met. Right?

I made myself an idol? . . . Does everyone “make [themself] an idol,” and break the 1st Commandment, the moment that they avoid doing some hard task, that God proposes to them?

You literally implied you loved yourself more than God. You said you wanted your will over his (self love), and you asked where it said you can’t love yourself more.

I’m just curious, but why wouldn’t you want to do His will in all things? He is the greatest good and the highest standard of love. Are you thinking you are choosing something better for you than His will would provide?

It would seem the only reason this would be the case is if you were wanting to put a sinful desire above God’s will…which would mean you are living in sin.

Not trying to sound judgemental…I’m genuinely curious.

1 Like

@ThomasBall I did not say that I love myself more than God, only that in SOME EPHEMERAL/PERIPHERAL THINGS, I want my Will rather than His.

@ThomasBall - I’m basically saying that I don’t love God TOTALLY . . . at least not yet.

@JosephDColeman
I have been explicitly avoiding your question.
My only question here is, IS IT A MORTAL SIN?
(I want absolution here, not sainthood.)

It doesn’t matter if it isn’t a mortal sin. You will never get absolution until you repent.

Also, this is from the Roman Catechism:
But should anyone plead human infirmity to excuse himself for not loving God, it should be explained that He who demands our love pours into our hearts by the Holy Ghost the fervour of His love; and this good Spirit our heavenly Father gives to those that ask him with reason, therefore, did St. Augustine pray: Give what thou commandest and command what thou pleasest. As, then, God is ever ready to help us, especially since the death of Christ the Lord, by which the prince of this world was cast out, there is no reason why anyone should be disheartened by the difficulty of the undertaking. To him who loves, nothing is difficult.

If you want to love him completely you have to pray that his will be done. If you purposely choose not to, you are making an idol of yourself.

First of all, what is the sin confessed?

@AHJE
The sin confessed is that I cannot say “Guy Will be done.”

Can you give an example of what He (God) asked you to do that you won’t?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.