Successor to St. Peter's Universal Jurisdiction

I know, but he was still human. And as long as he was on earth, he was still able to err.

Acts 11:1 Now the apostles and the brothers who were throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. 2 So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcision party criticized him, saying, 3 “You went to uncircumcised men and ate with them.” 4 But Peter began and explained it to them in order: 5 “I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision…the voice answered a second time from heaven, ‘What God has made clean, do not call common.’…15 As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning. 16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’ 17 If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?” 18 When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.”
Paul already withstood Judaizer confrontation and didn’t back down. He didn’t care about human respect here.

I’m sure we’ve all had the experience of successfully resisting a temptation, perhaps often enough to even thinking we’ve finally conquered the sin or failing — only later, in a weak moment or under stronger pressure, to cave in.

Will you stop having all the right responses to my responses? :stuck_out_tongue:

How about “Happy first Sunday of Advent”. Is that better? :slight_smile:

Coincidentally I asked about this topic last year.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=881604&highlight=cephas+ericc

Let it died a natural death. Seems like someone always have an answer to everything.:smiley:

Wow, Cassianus not only did you get an answer to your question about infallibility, but also how the Magisterium works and evidence of development of doctrine.

Jerome and Augustine were talking about Gal 2 and Paul’s rebuke of Peter. Here’s how Jerome answers

**From the RSV-CE

Gal 2:

**Paul Rebukes Peter at Antioch

11 But when Cephas came to Antioch I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he ate with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. 13 And with him the rest of the Jews acted insincerely, so that even Barnabas was carried away by their insincerity. 14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, “If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?” 15 We ourselves, who are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners, 16 yet who know that a man is not justifieda] by works of the law**(“https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=gal%202&version=RSVCE#fen-RSVCE-33256b”)] but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ, and not by works of the law, because by works of the law shall no one be justified. 17 But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we ourselves were found to be sinners, is Christ then an agent of sin? Certainly not! 18 But if I build up again those things which I tore down, then I prove myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law died to the law, that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justificationc] were through the law, then Christ died to no purpose.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.