Sudanese Woman Sentenced to Death After Marrying Christian

time.com/100815/sudanese-woman-death-marrying-christian/

A Sudanese woman who was born to a Muslim father was sentenced to death by hanging for marrying a Christian man

A pregnant 27-year-old Sudanese woman was sentenced to death by hanging Thursday for apostasy after marrying a Christian man and refusing to convert to Islam. Mariam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag also faces charges of adultery.

Ibrahim, who was born to a Muslim father but raised Orthodox Christian by her mother, was first sentenced on Sunday, but she was given until Thursday to change her mind and convert. She refused to do so, Al Jazeera reports.

“I am a Christian and I never committed apostasy,” Ibrahim said.

Ibrahim was found guilty of apostasy — the abandonment of one’s religious faith – because she was born to a Muslim father and married a Christian man. The adultery charge came as Islamic law prohibits Muslim women from marrying outside of their religion, a rule which effectively voided the marriage.

The death sentence will reportedly be carried out after Ibrahim gives birth.

Western embassies and human rights groups have urged Sudan to let Ibrahim choose her religion freely. Following the verdict, about 50 people protested against the sentence outside the courtroom.

We in the West should give God thanks every day of our lives! The senseless pain and suffering in this world astounds me.

This is a shocking story. There is a picture of the lady and her husband on the BBC:
bbc.com/news/world-africa-27424064

She was abandoned by her Muslim father as a small child, and so was brought up in her Christian mother’s religion. However, the fact that her father was Muslim makes her Muslim, in the eyes of the law in Sudan. Her marriage to a Christian man is therefore illegal there.

She is a very brave young woman, she refused to renounce her faith.

May God help her and be with her. I will keep her in my prayers.

This is really sad. She did not commit apostasy. She was never Muslim to begin with. Just because you are born to a Muslim parent does not make you a Muslim. She was raised Orthodox Christian by her mother so she is an Orthodox Christian. Basically, if the death sentence is not repealed, she’ll be a martyr.

It is hard to believe in this day and age such barbarity is permitted.

Makes one wonders how many would like to leave but are scared to do so.

Unfortunately under the laws as they are applied in many majority Islam states been born to a Muslim parent automatically means you must be raised as a Muslim. Also whilst Muslim men can marry Christian or Jewish woman Muslim women are not permitted this freedom.

It’s unconscionable to us isn’t it. They are the heirs of Muhammad.

I’m praying for a miracle.

This raises a couple of questions for me:

1. What can be done to change laws like this around the world?
  2. How can someone be truly faithful to their religion if they aren’t able to freely decide to profess that religion?

Honestly, I believe that this is an extreme example of the problems that happen when religion mingles with civil law.

And we’re supposed to respect these people and their religion? :mad:

I won’t comment.

I don’t want to get banned!

I don’t think you’re required to respect anything about this. I think you’re referring to the expectation that as Americans we respect people’s right to practice their religion… you’re not required to agree with it. But I have known many Muslim Americans who do not believe that their religion should be codified… I have known many people on the flip side… who truly believe that their religion should be enforcible law… but none of them were Muslim.

Isn’t Islam supposed to be a religion of peace…???

A quote from the BBC article linked by the OP.

**"The judge also sentenced the woman to 100 lashes after convicting her of adultery - because her marriage to a Christian man was not valid under Islamic law.

This will reportedly be carried out when she has recovered from giving birth."**

I physically got weak when I read this. I cannot imagine going through childbirth knowing that on the other side of it is a lashing. And on the other side of the lashing is my hanging. I cannot imagine how this woman is staying strong in her faith.

The last sentence of the article is
"She is said to be eight months’ pregnant."

That is not much time left. I pray God intervenes in a miraculous way and that this woman can escape the country or is shown mercy and spared by her government.

God bless Meriam Yehya Ibrahim Ishag. :signofcross:

Please join me in having Masses said for her.

I’m appalled at thinking about these things as I feel the little life kicking and squirming inside of me. I just finished re-reading the accounts of Sts. Felicity and Perpetua’s martyrdom. I actually believe Perpetua was in her eighth month as well, and Roman law forbade a pregnant woman from entering the arena. Felicity had newly weaned her baby. I think they were scourged, then gored by a mad heifer (the Romans thinking it fitting that a mother cow should kill mothers), and then be-headed. This young lady will be in good company. Heroic, and if she is killed, I ask for her prayers along with these other women.

Here is a White House. gov petition that is being signed:
petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/demand-release-pregnant-mother-mariam-ibrahim-and-her-20-month-old-son-martin-united-states-citizen/xpQlzgMy

foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/23/lawmakers-press-obama-team-on-sudanese-mom-death-sentence/

Lawmakers press Obama team on asylum for Sudanese mom sentenced to death

Lawmakers are pressing the Obama administration to grant asylum to a pregnant Sudanese woman who has been sentenced to death for her Christian faith.

Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, 27, whose Christian husband holds American citizenship, has being held in a Sudanese prison along with her 20-month old son for more than three months. Last week, in a decision that drew international condemnation, a judge in Khartoum sentenced her to death by hanging once she gives birth and nurses her child for two years, because she would not renounce her Christianity.

“I am disgusted and appalled by the inhumane verdict Ms. Ibrahim has received, simply for refusing to recant her Christian faith," said Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., who is also a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Yeah I have heard about that before. I think it is sad that they have these sorts of laws. :frowning:

Actually in places at times we had similar laws that stipulated a child once baptised had to be raised Catholic which led to some rather infamous cases of non-Catholic children who were baptised by others been taken from their parents. We’ve moved past that stage and hopefully Muslims who seems in may places to be passing through a stage Christianity did several hundred years ago might move past this.

The Pope said today during his visit to Jordan that people should have the freedom to worship in the faith they choose. He was more eloquent
but I am sure he was thinking of this woman.

It crossed my mind today that I haven’t heard any outcries from the jewish community around this case. We are always being asked to fight anti-semitism but I haven’t heard much from them on the recent persecution of Christians. Maybe I missed it.

Anyhow I think what is happening to this woman is horrible.
The world should be outraged that a pregnant woman could be held captive under these conditions and under the threat of death for not converting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.