Suffering and Salvation

I would like to know if **our suffering ** is in union with what Jesus suffered on the cross for the salvation of souls.
Can this be found anywhere in th Bible or Catechism.

The Apostolic Letter Salvifici Doloris by John Paul II deals precisely with the issue of redemptive suffering.

[quote=Opey]I would like to know if **our suffering ** is in union with what Jesus suffered on the cross for the salvation of souls.
Can this be found anywhere in th Bible or Catechism.
[/quote]

Three key biblical citations are:

Matthew 16:24-27
24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? Or what shall a man give in return for his life? 27 For the Son of man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay every man for what he has done.

Ro 8:17 -
and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

1Co 12:26
If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

Php 1:29
For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake

Colossian 1:24
24 Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church,

1 Peter 4:12-14
12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal which comes upon you to prove you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice in so far as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are reproached for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.

[quote=Della]The Apostolic Letter Salvifici Doloris by John Paul II deals precisely with the issue of redemptive suffering.
[/quote]

Thank you for you help.
God bless
Opey

[quote=Fidelis]Three key biblical citations are:
[/quote]

Thank you for your help.
God Bless
Opey

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.