Suffering and the End

Alright, I do a lot of forum wandering and I came across one inparticular who had a user who insulted and questioned the very existence of God, now to respect another’s faith is one thing, to defend your own is another correct?

At any rate so being who I am, I decided to PM him in concern of his vulgar manner. He confronted me with two questions

The first he stated that once man dies he simply ceases to exist, I of course argued the existance of Heaven and Hell. But he seems dead set on the idea that once he or anyone else dies, they will simply vanish from existence, now that doesn’t make any sense to me. So I would appreciate if I might get this one sorted out.

Secondly, he also questioned me why children must suffer if God is all merciful?

[quote=Wu Jingxian]Secondly, he also questioned me why children must suffer if God is all merciful?
[/quote]

did not God himself suffer on the cross? when any innocent suffers, God is the victim…

Could you… I’m not quite sure exactly what you’re asking, because they’re broad topics. Ask them again, but ask them in a specific way. Try asking specifically what you are wondering about them, and that way we can provide better answers.

[quote=Wu Jingxian]Alright, I do a lot of forum wandering and I came across one inparticular who had a user who insulted and questioned the very existence of God, now to respect another’s faith is one thing, to defend your own is another correct?
[/quote]

Yes, we most certainly can defend what we believe, but in a loving manner, which this man doesn’t seem to think important.

At any rate so being who I am, I decided to PM him in concern of his vulgar manner. He confronted me with two questions

Ah yes, the old bait and switch. You see, he doesn’t want to own up to being insulting and a bore so he switches the conversation to a topic he feels you can’t handle just to seem superior to you. If he were a real man he’d apologize instead of questioning YOUR beliefs in such a condescending way. :rolleyes:

The first he stated that once man dies he simply ceases to exist, I of course argued the existance of Heaven and Hell. But he seems dead set on the idea that once he or anyone else dies, they will simply vanish from existence, now that doesn’t make any sense to me. So I would appreciate if I might get this one sorted out.

No one can “prove” the existence of the soul according to materialistic arguments, and that’s what he wants you to try to do knowing you can’t do it. He thinks all there is is this world and there is nothing else, that’s his prerogative, but you aren’t required to prove the existence of the afterlife to him when he has no interest in hearing any argument in favor of faith. How sad for him! I have to wonder how he knows his wife will be faithful or his mother loves him or that his friends aren’t lying to him when he wants empirical proofs instead of faith. He isn’t thinking with all of his faculties, I’m afraid. I truly pity people who are too clever for their own good.

Secondly, he also questioned me why children must suffer if God is all merciful?

So, children shouldn’t be fully human until they reach what age? Pain, emotional, physical, spiritual, is there to let us know when something is wrong. It is a defense mechanism not a punishment. If we didn’t have pain we would run ourselves into things and hurt ourselves or be unfeeling or unable to know when we need certain things. I think he is asking the wrong question, myself. Or, once again, he is trying to sound clever at his own expense, poor thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.