Suffering as a share in the Passion of our Lord

Hi - I haven’t posted here in a long time but I wondered if someone could tell me how to explain to someone that our suffering can be joined with that of Christ -

Thanks for any help you all can give me!
Missa

Well now.

You know the footprints poem? Maybe a copy of that to the one you are concerned about will speak louder than trying to explain it to her?

if you need to explain I would always use the example of Simon carrying the Cross for Jesus during the passion. It was portrayed remarkably well in the Passion of the Christ. Simon was carrying the Cross for Jesus but Jesus, close to death, stood up beside Simon put one arm around Simon and together they carried it.

What wonderful imagery. Always moves me deeply.
http://www.lookingcloser.org/images/passion-christ-simon.jpg

We all have a cross to carry, some big, some small. That is something we cannot change. What we can decide is how heavy they will be. With Christ all crosses no matter the size become weightless.

“Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church.” (Colossians 1:24)

We are members of the Body of Christ. If we are members of His body, then we share in CHrist’s role as priest, prophet and king. As priest, we share in Christ’s sufferings, in that our sufferings joined to his can be used for the redemption of the world.

After all, what does it really mean to be a part of the Body of Christ?

Here is an address on the topic by John Paul II: Salvifici Doloris.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.