Suffering = closer to our Lord?

Is it just me or is it always whenever something bad or a suffering is going on, that they are getting closer to our Lord? And what I mean by that is I found out last night at RCIA that I and the group will be entering into the Rite of Welcome or Rite of Acceptancce the following Sunday (finally!) and they did have an afficial date when MY confirmation would be next month! I’m so happy! Anyway, since that awesome day is getting closer and closer, I’m starting to suffer more and more due to my lovely add (A Dumb Disorder is what they should’ve called it!) - like I’m more aware of it? - reading comprehension and other stuff. I don’t know if it’s because it will bring me closer to our Lord kinda like when someone is about ready to die and go to our Lord, they suffer more and more if it’s an illness, etc. and I was wondering if this COULD be the case?

[quote=Paris Blues]Is it just me or is it always whenever something bad or a suffering is going on, that they are getting closer to our Lord? And what I mean by that is I found out last night at RCIA that I and the group will be entering into the Rite of Welcome or Rite of Acceptancce the following Sunday (finally!) and they did have an afficial date when MY confirmation would be next month! I’m so happy! Anyway, since that awesome day is getting closer and closer, I’m starting to suffer more and more due to my lovely add (A Dumb Disorder is what they should’ve called it!) - like I’m more aware of it? - reading comprehension and other stuff. I don’t know if it’s because it will bring me closer to our Lord kinda like when someone is about ready to die and go to our Lord, they suffer more and more if it’s an illness, etc. and I was wondering if this COULD be the case?
[/quote]

Well I don’t believe it means people are getting closer to leaving this earth to be with the Lord. But I think you may be onto something there about getting closer to the Lord here on earth.

It very well MAY be the case that as you are getting closer to your Initiation and Confirmation your insight is becoming sharper, perhaps because the Spirit is working through you to bring you closer to Christ.

Gosh, I’m really excited for you, even though this struggle you are dealing with is frustrating for you, just thinking about it bringing you closer to Jesus is pretty awesome though and comforting too. At least I hope you find comfort in that.

Suffering is a means by which we grow closer to the Lord. Sometimes we don’t understand why we are suffering but how many times has someone suffered and only after the suffering has ceased is it apparent of the good that came out of suffering? We don’t always understand the ways of the Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.