Suggest one Catholic Saints writings

I am trying to read some of the saints writings. There is so much out there to read. If you could suggest one saints writings to read, who would it be?

Story of a Soul by St. Therese

“The Spiritual Canticle”, by St. John of the Cross. All of his writings are superb (and come as one collection), but this is the one to read first.

Interior Castle by St. Theresa of Avila

OR

Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross

[quote=FCEGM]“The Spiritual Canticle”, by St. John of the Cross. All of his writings are superb (and come as one collection), but this is the one to read first.
[/quote]

I also would tend towards St John of the Cross…he is my favourite! Or to read any offshoot of an author who comments on his writings. His collected works will bring you something different at each and every point in your journey.

Actually I will be re-entering into his writings as points of my meditation. It is mystical stuff and is not for everybody.

My second is the Exercises of St Ignatius of Loyola…I feel this complements St John.

This is what makes our faith so rich and so beautiful is the myriad of Saints to choose from. You may read a book and something hits you on one of the phrases from a particular Saint and you may just be hooked for life!!!

Good luck and God bless…:slight_smile:

Blessings,
Shoshana

Thankyou, I am actually in the middle of Ascent of Mount Carmel by Saint John of The Cross. I love it so far.

if you like philosophy, you’ll like anything by St. Augustine.

I recommend “Confessions.” I have not yet read “City of God,” but “Confessions” is his most popular work.

“Summa Theologica” by St. Thomas Aquinas is among the most influential writings by the saints. I have not yet read that one either.

“Dark Night of the Soul” by St. John of the Cross, which I also have not yet read, is very popular.

But I definitely recommend “Confessions.” It’s very intellectual, very thought-provoking, and despite it being about 1600 years old, reads as a modern treatise on the shortcomings of society and the spiritual journey. :thumbsup:

One I would recommend is Archbishop Fulton J Sheen. I know he is not yet a saint, but his cause is out there.

If I had to pick a saint though, St Louis De Momfort makes so much sense.

[quote=jaz1976]One I would recommend is Archbishop Fulton J Sheen. I know he is not yet a saint, but his cause is out there.

If I had to pick a saint though, St Louis De Momfort makes so much sense.
[/quote]

Archbishop Sheen is fine. What books specifically by him would you reccommend?

I will have to look into Loius De Montfort.

I like St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to a Devout Life. It is a book on how to pray better and to “pray without ceasing” through your life work.

I’d have to recommend St.Faustina’s Diary: Divine Mercy in my Soul

I’ve learned so much from her! Such wisdom!

I would also recommed St. Augustine- one of my favorites!
[right]
[/right]

[quote=MariaG]I like St. Francis de Sales, Introduction to a Devout Life. It is a book on how to pray better and to “pray without ceasing” through your life work.
[/quote]

I second this, or anything by this wonderful saint.

[quote=Fidelis]I second this, or anything by this wonderful saint.
[/quote]

Fidelis, have you read his Sermons? I was hoping someone would mention him. I am curious about his sermons.

[quote=jimmy]Archbishop Sheen is fine. What books specifically by him would you reccommend?

I will have to look into Loius De Montfort.
[/quote]

You have been given fine choices. As for Sheen, Calvary adn the Mass, Three to Get Married or Seven Words of Jesus and Mary: Lessons on Cana and Calvary.

Spiritual Direction of Saint Claude De Colombiere is a book I picked up recently. Thanks and God Bless.

Although he has not yet been proclaimed a saint (he is “only” beatus), I would strongly recommend Thomas Á Kempis’ The Imitation of Christ. May be the book written by human hand which has exercised the most profound influence for over 500 hundred years, also known as the “fifth gospel”. No one as Kempis possessed a so deep understanding of human nature and our dependence on God. The number of persons who had and have The Imitation of Christ as principal book is countless. Among them is Ignatius Loyola. It was the book John Paul I (the first) was reading the night he died. A must.

“JESUS has always many who love His heavenly kingdom, but few who bear His cross. He has many who desire consolation, but few who care for trial. He finds many to share His table, but few to take part in His fasting. All desire to be happy with Him; few wish to suffer anything for Him. Many follow Him to the breaking of bread, but few to the drinking of the chalice of His passion. Many revere His miracles; few approach the shame of the Cross. Many love Him as long as they encounter no hardship; many praise and bless Him as long as they receive some comfort from Him. But if Jesus hides Himself and leaves them for a while, they fall either into complaints or into deep dejection. Those, on the contrary, who love Him for His own sake and not for any comfort of their own, bless Him in all trial and anguish of heart as well as in the bliss of consolation. Even if He should never give them consolation, yet they would continue to praise Him and wish always to give Him thanks. What power there is in pure love for Jesus - love that is flee from all self-interest and self-love!”

Try the following translation on internet:

ccel.org/k/kempis/imitation/imitation-bod.html

My favorite book by Archbishop Sheen is “The World’s First Love”. (About the Blessed Mother).
But my favorite saint to read is St Teresa of Avila, especially her “Life”, which is a book I re-read every couple of years, at least.

I forgot to write Jean Vanier. His last book on the gospel of John is estraordinary. The man is truly holy…a saint of our day…One of his followers, Henri Nouwen, writes books also…but is nowhere near his master…

Blessings,
Shoshana

Another who hasn’t been canonized YET is Bartolome de las Casas. I am reading “In Defense of the Indians” Can’t read it very long at a time, because I get angry at those who abuse religion to justify evil deeds, and their lame logic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.