Suggestion of a less anti-christian Gaming News Site?

In the past months, I became a little upset with the gaming news site I was following, with the majority of them (Gamespot, Eurogamer, IGN, etc.) having started promoting, or making a position in favor of homossexualism (with some of them even citing the word ‘homophobic’ when refering to us who follow Our Lord Jesus Christ).

Of course, it’s impossible for us to pass by for this and do not notes it. And recently I started wondering if there is any gaming news site that at least positions itself null on these matters, so I’m wondering if the community has any suggestion of a gaming news site that is less anti-christian.

From my experience, the only time you’ll ever find material like that is on the more opinionated articles. On the other hand, I have yet to encounter game reviews and actual news articles that carry the kind of tone you’re talking about. My suggestion is stick to the latter and avoid anything that is not informative/factual about the gaming scene. You don’t really need to change sites.

Yes, I agree with you.

By looking for the news articles, these sites brings exactly what I need in terms of news - it’s what I need.

What bothers me is when they report news related directly to the theme, like the Bioware thing. It’s a news that when you look the title, you go to check it to see what it is about.

So, in these cases, they bring the tone of the matter (homossexualism) as a normal thing. That’s why I was wondering if there could have any other gaming news media more neutral on these matters.

If theres nothing more left, then I’ll stick with them.

Also, it could be a great initiative for us if we could have a catholic organization launching a big gaming news site.

I’d help with that… can’t offer much except I used to code quite a bit html. Altho most sites use other alternatives anymore :frowning:

But if you ever want to get started… send me mail :slight_smile:

When it comes to features like same-sex routes unique to the Bioware games, the line between news, reviews, and opinion does tend to blur. However, I don’t find them representative of the entire gaming news organization. It’s because of that that I’ve personally grown a thick skin towards such things.

I must express deep skepticism over this. Such a site would be either extremely limited in terms of coverage or we could bring a different perspective that could challenge the more secular-minded. The latter’s actually good. It’s the best of what we could do. However, the chances are we’d end up taking on the same critics as the secularists. I cannot see a site like that do well without riling the feathers of the traditionalist crowd IMO.

For that to succeed, I think you would need to recruit persons inside the gaming industry who would provide inside information. And you would need to send reporters to the major gaming conventions.

All of which of course the more so-called ‘conservative’ side of Catholicism would either be wary of or strongly object to. I find counter-cultural attitudes in our religion more of a plague in this regard seeing as how video games are a significant part of modern culture.

Yep. Even a Catholic site would get some Catholics going on about “Why are you wasting time on video games?” or “Why are you replacing Jesus with video games?” (that’s pretty extreme, but it would no longer surprise me).

Maybe you need a video games playing religious group or order. You know, sort of like Athletes in Action, but for video games.

It gets a lot worse than that. Doug Tennapel, developer of the Earthworm Jim series and a devout Catholic, was actually somewhat blacklisted in gaming sites for speaking his mind on the subject and for daring to portray homossexuality in a bad light in his comics.

He was labeled an homophobic and several mainstream gaming outlets called for a “boycott” of his games(nevermind the fact that he hasn’t developed one in a long time).

We live in dark times. Butt-bumping gay elves(“Dragon Age” games) are okay, but speaking your mind about sodomy gets you a blacklist. Free speech my ***.

Cynical brit is okay. TB makes a point to avoid bashing anyone who isn’t being stupid.

But I agreed.

I my self do not see alot of that.

Thank you all for sharing your comments!

I don’t see that way. In my vision, such site would do nothing different of what these secularized site do that is related to bringing news. Initially, the idea was to report gaming news, without the aforementioned cases in which they bring immoral opinions, like the Bioware thing.

Eventually, the site could publish one or another text more opinative, but it would not be the standard. The primary function would be to bring gaming news clear of secular minded-opinions.

Yes, such site would have reporters covering gaming conventions. When you cite inside information, you mean anonymous source providing exclusive informations? Well, it may happens, but I don’t see this as a necessity for such project to exist. Such site, like the ones we have today, could quote info and news from others sites, crediting them, like we see today, but clear of the secular minded-opinions.

I understand what you say. However, keep in mind that the idea is not to create a religious site that speak of games, but a site in which the main focus is only e exclusively to the game’s industry, but managed by Catholic professionals. Such site would not be self labeled as a religious site. It would be just a gaming site, with it’s professionals being Catholics, with they openly describing themselves as a Catholics. It’s a similar thing of what Pluggedin.com do.

I didn’t know about that. But if we could have a gaming news site, ppl like him could even receive a dedicated column to speak about game, it would be nice, and maybe we could even find more hidden-Catholic ppl into the industry…

Appreciate your prompt wish to help. I only came with the idea, however, cause I wouldn’t even where to start. I’m from Brazil, and I don’t have any knowledge in managing such project. I also don’t have knowledge in programing, or web page, and even my English is not so good. I just though I could give an idea…

This could also be accomplished by reading only the news sections of current gaming sites. :confused:

I understand what you say. However, keep in mind that the idea is not to create a religious site that speak of games, but a site in which the main focus is only e exclusively to the game’s industry, but managed by Catholic professionals. Such site would not be self labeled as a religious site. It would be just a gaming site, with it’s professionals being Catholics, with they openly describing themselves as a Catholics. It’s a similar thing of what Pluggedin.com do.

I still am not getting why this is necessary. What makes the Catholicity a core component? Why not just aggregate news articles from other websites? Or employ people to write factual articles on games?

In other words, it is not clear to me what niche this is filling. I already get all the info I need from IGN, GameFAQs, Neo-seeker, and franchise-specific sites like zeldainformer.com. I rarely, if ever, come across statements that deal with morality. And if I do, it is in an opinion piece labeled as such, and it is not that hard to think, “Oh, I disagree.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.