Suggestions for processional music for a wedding liturgy

My friend has asked for my help choosing music for her mixed-marriage liturgy. I think we’ve settled on Ave Maria during the signing of the register and Ode to Joy for the recessional.

I need suggestions for the Processional. Either a long piece that will cover 7 attendants and the bride and her father, or a shorter piece for the attendants and another for the bride and her father.

To be clear, musicians are not a dime a dozen. I may be able to get the United Church musician to play the piano or I may have to go with recorded music, which is commonly done at weddings in our parish. Yes, I know it’s not supposed to happen. Find me an organist on a Labour Day weekend and I’ll happily use him/her.

Sorry I had read recessional I had “Nadia’s theme” for the Bridesmaids and “Turn Around” for me & hubby. Don’t know if that would go today. Our recessional was Handle’s Water Music!

1 Like

I second Handel’s Water Music. Or Pachelbel’s Canon in D Major, or the Brandenburg Concertos.

2 Likes

Canon in D for bridal party and either Trumpet Voluntary or O God Beyond All Praising for bride.

2 Likes

LOVE that one. SO PRETTY!

1 Like

That’s what we had! :heart:

1 Like

My vote:

Clarke’s Trumpet Voluntary
Pachelbel’s Canon
Purcell’s Trumpet Tune

All in the beautiful key of D :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for the suggestions. My only problem with Canon in D is that Monty Python ruined it for me. :smile:

She likes Handel’s Water Music and Canon in D.

She wasn’t fussy about Thaxted, but “O God Beyond All Praising” is not something she’s grown up with. Personally, I don’t think I’ve ever heard that music outside of the Ottawa Remembrance Day ceremonies when a children’s choir always sings “I Vow to Thee my Country”.

:laughing:
Mr Bean did that for me with All Creatures of Our God and King.

Try Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring for bridal party and give the bride a lovely entrance with Clarke’s Trumpet Voluntary or Marcello’s Psalm 19.

The beauty of this piece of music is that it has many variations so long as it follows a D,A,Bm,F#,G,D,G,A chord pattern. You can’t go wrong with it as long as you don’t watch Monte Python. :slight_smile:

I sometimes wonder percentage of (still living) couples who chose this one, as we did. We enjoyed classical music while dating and chose from our favorites (thinking we were so modern :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:). Coming up 47 years.

The bridal chorus from Lohengrin by Richard Wagner was most popular at the time.

Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring

Or, I’d think a song that everyone can sing like Holy God We Praise Thy Name would be a lovely processional.

1 Like

I think Wagner and Mendelssohn music was banned from the church at one time.

Believe it or not, my mother-in-law wanted Ave Maria at her wedding, but it wasn’t allowed because (supposedly) the composer was Protestant. At least, that’s what she claims. This would’ve been the late 1960s.

We had Water Music as a processional, Trumpet Tune as a recessional, and Ave Maria at the veneration of Mary…31 years ago.

1 Like

I’d go for that but it’s not my wedding and she doesn’t want hymns. The groom and his family are not in the least religious.

I’ve heard from gals who married around the same time as I did (1975) that our parish priest had vetoed Ave Maria. I have no idea why.

It seems Princess Diane made the tune popular at her wedding and the Catholic lyrics came later.

1 Like

Marcello’s Adagio
or
Vivaldi’s Largo from his winter concerto.

1 Like

I have a nice memory of an instrumental version of the hymn “You Are Mine” as the processional.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.