Suggestions for youth group movie night

We are planning a moving night for our youth group. This will be held in our youth group room and we have a DVD player. Can anyone suggest a good movie that the kids (grades 9-12) will like? Here are some parameters:

1. Not a foreign language/subtitle movie.
  2. Not a Christmas movie.
  3. We’ve already seen the JPII movie.
  4. Doesn’t have to be a “Catholic” movie, but would like one reflecting good values.
  5. Preferably one made within the last 20 years.

Suggestions?

You are excluding most of the best movies ever made. Why? Modernism?

Big Fish

The Princess Bride

Edward Scissorhands

A good movie that all Catholic kids should see is “The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima”. I know it’s outside of your 20-year limit, but it is really a good, entertaining movie. I just saw it recently and expected it to be corny, but I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it.

Henry Poole is Here.

If you haven’t seen it, you should.

My 11 year old watches some foreign films with subtitles with me. I hope your restriction isn’t because foreign films with subtitles are seen as inaccessible, or pretentious.

Almost forgot!

The Way. Great movie with Martin sheen and his real life son, Emilio Estevez. Powerful and moving.

Starbuck - As his lover announces her pregnancy, a fortysomething slacker receives other life-changing news: 142 people, all of them the result of artificial insemination, have filed a class action lawsuit against him, their biological father.

imdb.com/title/tt1756750/

Once - A modern-day musical about a busker and an immigrant and their eventful week in Dublin, as they write, rehearse and record songs that tell their love story.

imdb.com/title/tt0907657/

“For Greater Glory” …about the Cristeros main star - Andy Garcia

About religious persecution in Mexico - the people’s revolt. Excellent film!

Here is a website: forgreaterglory.com/

Running time is 150 minutes. It can be shown 1/2 at a time if necessary.

+1 For the Greater Glory

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will print them to a list to refer to them in the future.

I have to say that the winning suggestion for this particular movie night is “The Way.” It is just what I was looking for! Thanks, Irishmom2!

:clapping: You’re welcome! Hope they like it. The youth group might want to plan their own “local” pilgrimage.

That’s an interesting idea!

I was going to suggest the Ernest P. Worrell movies, but I guess they aren’t really what you’re looking for. KnowwhutImean? :nope:

I had to google the name, but once I saw his picture, I knew who you were talking about. I liked his commercials, but I don’t think I could take a whole movie of him!

THE SECRET OF KELLS

amazon.com/The-Secret-Kells-Brendan-Gleeson/dp/B0036TGSW6
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Kells

It was nominated for an Oscar. It was made by Irish animators and it is HAND DRAWN animation. It’s so beautiful. I wish I had a youth group to show it to. It’s about the creating of the Book of Kells, and I’m including some links so I don’t have to type so much.

It gives me tears just thinking about it.

You could have them plan one that makes stops at area churches if they are close enough or at places they could help out or visit along the way. (Nursing home, soup kitchen, food pantry.) And of course, pizza at the end of the journey. :wink: Our parish does this with the youth carrying a large cross at Lent. They were wonderful about it, no whining!

The Scarlett and the Black

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_and_the_Black

A true story !!! :smiley:

Gregory Peck plays a priest in Rome during WWII.
He arranges for the sheltering of thousands of Jews from the Nazis who occupy Rome.

Nobody would write this story as fiction, but it really happened.

I would say Star Wars Episod 4 but I’m not sure if it reflects Catholic values.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.