Suggestions Please: the Early Church Fathers

Hello,

I was asked to speak about the Early Church Fathers in adult faith formation. I had a planned on an apologetic approach based on on the teachings of the fathers about popular misconceptions about The Church. I was asked not to do one on this subject. So now I’m at a loss for a subject and time is running out.

So I made this post to ask for suggestions on a theme or subject. Anyway, any help would be great.

I’d say either the Eucharist or Mary through the eyes of the Early Church Fathers.

Here is a sampling of some of my favorites:

Didache, chapters 2, 7-10 On abortion, rite of baptism, fasting on Fridays, the Eucharist.

Clement of Rome, To the Corinthians, chapters 42 & 44. On the orderly succession of bishops.

Ignatius of Antioch, To the Romans, Introduction. On the primacy of the Church of Rome.

Ignatius of Antioch, To the Smyrneans, chapters 6-8. On the Eucharist, the bishop, and the Catholic Church.

Martyrdom of Polycarp, chapters 16-19. On Polycarp’s death and the veneration of his relics.

Justin Martyr, First Apology, chapters 61, 65-67. On baptism, the Eucharist, Sunday worship.

Irenaeus of Lyons, Against Heresies,
Book 3, Chapter 3, Paragraphs 1-3. On the necessity of being in communion with the Church of Rome
Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 4. On Mary, the second Eve.
Book 5, Chapter 19, Paragraph 1. On Mary, the second Eve.

Thanks, Todd Easton and Roguejim! Actually you guys broke my “writer’s block” so to speak. I have a hard time sometimes as I get locked on to a subject and I tend to zoom in on it. So when my original lesson was changed I just went blank. But you guys have got the ol’ bean grinding away again.

Thanks again!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.