Sui Iuris Churches and the Extended Canon of Scripture

What is the [the united] Catholic Church’s view of the extended Canons of Scripture of the Eastern Churches?

What is the Eastern Catholic view? Do we still accept our extended Canon? or have we switched to the Canon set in Trent?

In Christ,
Zekariya

[EDIT]

Perhaps Trent does not preclude the possibility of there being more books that that which it defined to be Scripture?

What about the Ethiopian Catholic Church? Do they still use the Book of Enoch and such as being divinely inspired?

PS I know that the most important thing is unity in doctrine. I am, however, curious about the different sui iuris Church Canon of Scripture if differences are permitted them.

See this thread:

Thank you. So, from that link, I see that the Prayer of Manasseh is not Scripture in the Eastern Catholic Churches. Is it still liturgically read in the Eastern Churches? Is it seen as part of the whole of Tradition while not accepted into the Canon as Scripture?

In Christ,
Zekariya

It is used during great compline, if my memory serves me.

So it is a part of accepted tradition but, not Scripture?

That concept isn’t foreign to Catholicism. In the Roman Rite Liturgy of the Hours various non-Scriptural passages (from the Fathers, Councils, Popes, or other saints) are read during the office of readings (Matins).

Thanks for verifying that. :slight_smile:

In Christ,
Zekariya

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.