Sui Juris transfer

Hello all,

I'm sure that this question has been asked hundreds of times but I'll ask again :)

I was born and raised in the Latin Church. We are lucky to have an Eastern Catholic Church in our city and over the last 5 or 6 years I have been regularly attending Divine Liturgy. I started with going once a month, then twice, and now I am a regular.

I am drawn to the Ruthenian Church and was wondering how long a transfer from one sui juris Church to another? I know that it is not a necessary thing but as a father I feel this is the Church that I wish my daughter to belong too.

I know that the best thing to do is just speak to my pastor about this but it's Wednesday and with work and all (I'm a teacher and we are nearing the end of the year, yay!) I just will not get around to it until the weekend. If anyone has gone through this I would love to hear your stories and for those who were born and raised in one of the Eastern Churches, your thoughts :)

Thanks everyone!

It would take no time at all, normally. The pastor will request your transfer to your current Latin bishop and your soontobe Ruthenian bishop. As soon as the documents are signes, you are official - considering you have been a regular participant for so many years, the paperwork should just be a formality. Father David or Father Sebastian can add more detailed info on the subject.

[quote="SyroMalankara, post:2, topic:443366"]
It would take no time at all, normally. The pastor will request your transfer to your current Latin bishop and your soontobe Ruthenian bishop. As soon as the documents are signes, you are official - considering you have been a regular participant for so many years, the paperwork should just be a formality. Father David or Father Sebastian can add more detailed info on the subject.

[/quote]

[quote="SyroMalankara, post:2, topic:443366"]

[/quote]

Hello again,

One last question for you or anyone else. Let's say that I do not get a transfer. I know that my child can be baptized in the Ruthenian church (I realize I may have to get permission from the Latin bishop) and I know that she will canonically be Latin. Are there instances where the Latin bishop would allow for a child to be chrismated as well?

Thanks,

[quote="ziapueblo, post:4, topic:443366"]
Hello again,

One last question for you or anyone else. Let's say that I do not get a transfer. I know that my child can be baptized in the Ruthenian church (I realize I may have to get permission from the Latin bishop) and I know that she will canonically be Latin. Are there instances where the Latin bishop would allow for a child to be chrismated as well?

Thanks,

[/quote]

Yes...I went through this 4 years ago and my then Latin bishop gave his permission for all 3 of my kids to be chris mated and communed. The next year we did the canonical transfer. But again, it depends on each latin bishop...there may be some who do not give permission.

[quote="Angel_Gabriel, post:5, topic:443366"]
Yes...I went through this 4 years ago and my then Latin bishop gave his permission for all 3 of my kids to be chris mated and communed. The next year we did the canonical transfer. But again, it depends on each latin bishop...there may be some who do not give permission.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I'm so glad you posted. I could have written your letter. I officially belong to the Latin Rite Church (born and bread in it). I have been attending the Maronite (Eastern Rite Catholic Church) since Advent 2011 (SIX YEARS this coming Advent). I'm NOT married nor do I have children, but I, too, wish to OFFICIALLY transfer rites. You have completed the first things which is to attend and participate in the liturgy for AT LEAST 2 years. The next step is to write a letter explaining what went into your decision to want to belong to this new rite. Be COMPLETE! Talk about what has drawn you to this rite and your desire to have your children raised within the rite. Best of Luck! Feel free to email me privately if you wish.

PS: I am in the process of writing my letter right now!

[quote="Herculees, post:7, topic:443366"]
I'm so glad you posted. I could have written your letter. I officially belong to the Latin Rite Church (born and bread in it). I have been attending the Maronite (Eastern Rite Catholic Church) since Advent 2011 (SIX YEARS this coming Advent). I'm NOT married nor do I have children, but I, too, wish to OFFICIALLY transfer rites. You have completed the first things which is to attend and participate in the liturgy for AT LEAST 2 years. The next step is to write a letter explaining what went into your decision to want to belong to this new rite. Be COMPLETE! Talk about what has drawn you to this rite and your desire to have your children raised within the rite. Best of Luck! Feel free to email me privately if you wish.

PS: I am in the process of writing my letter right now!

[/quote]

Good luck to you and I will definitely be sending you a message.

[quote="ziapueblo, post:1, topic:443366"]
Hello all,

I'm sure that this question has been asked hundreds of times but I'll ask again :)

I was born and raised in the Latin Church. We are lucky to have an Eastern Catholic Church in our city and over the last 5 or 6 years I have been regularly attending Divine Liturgy. I started with going once a month, then twice, and now I am a regular.

I am drawn to the Ruthenian Church and was wondering how long a transfer from one sui juris Church to another? I know that it is not a necessary thing but as a father I feel this is the Church that I wish my daughter to belong too.

I know that the best thing to do is just speak to my pastor about this but it's Wednesday and with work and all (I'm a teacher and we are nearing the end of the year, yay!) I just will not get around to it until the weekend. If anyone has gone through this I would love to hear your stories and for those who were born and raised in one of the Eastern Churches, your thoughts :)

Thanks everyone!

[/quote]

If you are in a jurisdiction of the Byzantine Catholic Church and the Latin Church both, then you request the transfer in writing from the bishop of the eparchy that you wish to join. The receiving bishop approves then he will make the request to the Latin bishop. If both approve, then the sacramental records will be needed by the Byzantine bishop, and then he will approve the transfer, and finally an affidavit will be sent for use in making the declaration, after which is will be complete when the bishop receives it. If children are under fourteen they can transfer with the parent, and also the spouse may transfer.

CIC (Latin Canon Law)
Can. 112 §1. After the reception of baptism, the following are enrolled in another Church sui iuris:
[INDENT]1° one who has obtained permission from the Apostolic See;
2° a spouse who, on entering marriage or during its course, has declared that he or she is transferring to the Church sui iuris of the other spouse; on the dissolution of the marriage, however, that person may freely return to the Latin Church;
3° the children of those mentioned in nn. 1 and 2 who have not completed their fourteenth year, and likewise in a mixed marriage the children of a Catholic party who has lawfully transferred to another Church sui iuris; on completion of their fourteenth year, however, they may return to the Latin Church.

Can. 112 §3. Each transfer to another Church 'sui iuris’ is valid from the moment of the declaration made in the presence of the local ordinary of the said Church or of its pastor or of the priest delegated by one of them and of two witnesses, unless a rescript of the Apostolic See disposes otherwise; and is noted in the baptismal register.

Act of John Paul II.
Secretariat of State

To canonical norm CIC 112, §1, 1/
CCEO Canon 32 section 2 presumes consent of the Apostolic See (consensus praesumitur) for transfer of a Catholic of one Church sui iuris to another with overlapping territories. This rescript extends the consent to the faithful of the Latin Church.

From the audience with his Holiness, Day 26, November, year 1992. Angelo Cardinal Sodano, Secretary of State

[/INDENT]

Many transfers from the Latin Church, such as this, have occurred in our Byzantine Catholic parish.

If your daughter is fourteen, then that transfer would have to be made with a similar application.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.