Suicide ad receiving the sacraments

i just want to ask, recently one of our former Chief of Staff of the Philippine Military, commited suicide, will the priest has the choice of making wake masses for his soul or just comfort the family members by nmaking mass? i saw on TV and i am just shocked why the priest said mass in honor of the former General?

You do not know the final disposition of his soul as you cannot judge the man in the way that God can. The CCC explains that:

"2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide."

Pray for him.

The Church realizes that while suicide is a grave sin, the more a soul needs prayers. I know in the past a Catholic funeral was denied to those who commit suicide. But that would be judging the person’s actions and we truly cannot judge the state of one’s soul. So today the Church allows for a Mass and a Catholic funeral and leave the judgment to God. Wouldn’t you agree that people who commit suicide needs more of our prayers?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.