Suicide bomber kills 5, wounds 98 in Nigerian Church

reuters.com/article/2012/10/28/us-nigeria-violence-idUSBRE89R04D20121028

My friends, we must pray, pray, pray for our fellow Christians who do not enjoy the same safety and security that many of us do.

The article reads:

Church attacks often target Nigeria’s middle belt, where its largely Christian south and mostly Muslim north meet and where sectarian tensions run high. Kaduna’s mixed population lies along that faultline.

This violence affects more or less a certain part of Nigeria, Churches in this area often set up security and I have read stories of where would-be bombers have been thwarted.

The article says a bomb was driven in with a jeep so perhaps it rammed barricades. Unfortunately, this violence is not unheard of but this appears to be a very large explosion.

Prayers for those effected.

I thought of the Nigerian priest who visited our parish last year and hoped he wasn’t one of those hurt or killed. He taught us to sing a charming folk song. My favorite parish accompanist did variations on this folk song and about a week afterwards he passed away.
After seeing this in the news, and other really horrific stories, I am dumfounded, near tears and find myself constantly wondering …what (the bleep) is wrong with people?:shrug:

At least seven people have been killed and dozens injured in a suicide bombing during Mass at a Catholic church in northern Nigeria, officials say.

An explosive-laden vehicle drove into the church and detonated its load, ripping a hole in the wall and roof.

The attack happened in Kaduna, which has been targeted by Islamist militant group Boko Haram in the recent past…

bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20114839

Though a tragedy such as this is detestable regardless of where it occurs, there seems to be something doubly horrendous about it when it happens in a house of God, where people go to seek comfort and peace. May God bless these souls.

This news article provides first-person accounts from the congregation of the terrorist bomb that went off in a Catholic church packed with worshippers, during the consecration. A terrorist drove an SUV packed with explosives into the wall of St. Rita Catholic Church.
see allafrica.com/stories/201210290228.html

may God be with these people who survived and with the souls of those who died.

Amen.

The left-wing article tries to spin it to sound like Christians are the bad ones even though it was Muslims who, again, bombed a Church.

yes, we need to pray for all churches in nigeria!! especially in the north. there is a woman at my church who sympathizes with the Muslims and condemns anyone who mentions them in a negative light. she critized our Nigerian priest who used to warn us of the dangers in Nigeria and what was happening over there. people like her refuse to read articles like these or somehow are in denial. i can’t understand people like my friend from church.

that is why we need to support posts like this because the Islamic persecution of Christians was been going on 1400 years. More Christians were killed in the 20th century than any other time and most all of it is due to Islam and its aggressive expansion, its violent teaching and forced conversions. The only thing you can do for your friend is pray that she comes to the truth and accepts it.

Boko Haram is a radical militant Islamist organization which has claimed the “right” to attack and kill Christians with impunity.

she is 84 years old and is a very liberal catholic and stubborn so i don’t see her accepting the truth anytime soon. one wonders how a truth so obvious can be ignored. i guess the Christians are to blame in the eyes of some people.

**Christians persecuted throughout the world **

Imagine the unspeakable fury that would erupt across the Islamic world if a Christian-led government in Khartoum had been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Sudanese Muslims over the past 30 years. Or if Christian gunmen were firebombing mosques in Iraq during Friday prayers. Or if Muslim girls in Indonesia had been abducted and beheaded on their way to school, because of their faith.

Such horrors are barely thinkable, of course. But they have all occurred in reverse, with Christians falling victim to Islamist aggression. Only two days ago, a suicide bomber crashed a jeep laden with explosives into a packed Catholic church in Kaduna, northern Nigeria, killing at least eight people and injuring more than 100. The tragedy bore the imprint of numerous similar attacks by Boko Haram (which roughly translates as “Western education is sinful”), an exceptionally bloodthirsty militant group.

Other notable trouble spots include Egypt, where 600,000 Copts – more than the entire population of Manchester – have emigrated since the 1980s in the face of harassment or outright oppression.

Why is such a huge scourge chronically under-reported in the West? One result of this oversight is that the often inflated sense of victimhood felt by many Muslims has festered unchallenged. Take the fallout of last month’s protests around the world against the American film about the Prophet Mohammed. While most of the debate centred on the rule of law and the limits of free speech, almost nothing was said about how much more routinely Islamists insult Christians, almost always getting away with their provocations scot-free.

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9640825/Christians-persecuted-throughout-the-world.html

m.nydailynews.com/1.1194121

Please comment on the reaction of Catholic Youth.

Praying for these people who believe it is their duty to kill, that their evil ways will end. May the souls of the dead, true witnesses of our faith, see the face of God and live on in Heaven.

2 related stories, the big one that was in the news:

“Nigerian ‘youths executed’ in Boko Haram stronghold”

bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20178356

An imam told the BBC about 11 youths from his street alone were killed, including four of his own sons.

The alleged extrajudicial executions happened as Amnesty International accused the security forces of abuses in its crackdown on Islamist militants.

So, this appears like retaliation for this bombing and retaliation by ?? government forces?

Also, this does not mention what denomination this was but it was a Church in Kenya that was bombed:

bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20196493

The man who died was serving as pastor of the targeted church, in Garissa town near the border with Somalia.

Most of the wounded are also reported to be police officers; some of whom were airlifted to hospital in Nairobi.

In July, 15 people were killed in raids on churches in Garissa, and suspicion fell on the al-Shabab militant group.

So yes, we need to pray for peace and for those affected.

They want a sharia state and they are ready to spill blood to get it, in recent developments they are giving conditions for a temporal ceasefire. It seem they ran out of bomb and want to be compensated for killing people before they will sit and hold talks with the Nigerian government.

Top Boko Harum commander killed by Nigerian Military.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20357575

Sounds like they crack down on what are clearly acts of unacceptable brutality. I’ve followed the news for a few years, I haven’t seen them do this, they must be serious.

During the year after many attacks, Catholic and Protestant youths in this area had had enough and were organising themselves for physical retaliation against Boko Haram. When the Bishop and other church elders heard about this they intervened and convinced them that to retaliate with violence would not be acceptable and that this is their burden as Christians, to bear this with dignity. And so it continues.

Lord watch over your churches in this area where they are suffering under real persecution. :signofcross:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.