Suicide is not “Dignity,” it is “Suicide”

*"Beware movements that word engineer and deploy gooey euphemisms to further their agenda. It generally means there is something very wrong with the agenda.

“In the wake of Brittany Maynard’s death, suicide promoters are now using the word “dignity” as a synonym for suicide, more than implying that dying naturally is not dignity. …”*

nationalreview.com/human-exceptionalism/392296/suicide-not-dignity-it-suicide-wesley-j-smith

It is hard to understand why the parents and husband did not try to talk her out of it. It is so terribly sad.

Now I worry that my loved ones who are not attending church anymore may at some point in time try to do something like this. One difference is that the people I have in mind are pretty stubborn and probably sneaky. I don’t think they would confide in me beforehand because they know how I feel about this.

If you ask those who are in your circle of influence I think you will find a lot of people are ok with suicide. I work in the geriatric field and am surprised that the majority of those with whom I work are just fine with it. All the more reason to fight it as once the door opens the onslaught will be frightful.

Soon people will be frog-marching their parents to these euthanasia centres when they are legal because they have become a burden.

On a more serious side you would wonder how many people will make their ageing parents feel bad for still being alive, an inconvenience.

I didn’t read the article, but I can actually understand why people would consider euthanasia, particularly when suffering is so awful with so little chance at recovery.

It is considered an escape, similar to how we put animals out of their misery if they are suffering as the humane thing to do.

So, I don’t have any question understanding that.

This is an area I wrestle with, because I’ve seen some people who are, say, in ICU, seem like their lives are a blip on a screen…that they have such low quality of life.

Equally though, my supervisor, at age 2 y.o., had a high fever, was in a coma for 2 YEARS! She came out of it, was blind. Now, she teaches the blind braille, early stimulation and more. She’s teaching me braille stenography.

She’s married, has children.

She very much believes she has a purpose. She came out, against the odds, and I know of another case where someone was in a coma, came out of it, and now owns a house, car, works with Immigration here in Mexico.

So, I can see different sides of it.

I’ve seen people at the end of their lives want to die since the suffering can get quite intense.

I guess I need help understanding, at times.

My friend talked about people, guess it was during WWII who would euthanize people who were injured. Some people would be, say, cut in half…screaming for someone to kill them. I think if I were to see that, I’d be tempted to pick up a gun and shoot or hand the person a gun, I admit.

Me too. There are some cases where it’s just plain RIGHT.

In no way shape or form, no matter the situation- is it right. We have no right to play God and “put someone out of their misery”. I read a book called “get us out of here”. It’s about the experiences of a Catholic Mystic called Maria Simma. From a young age, she was visited by souls in purgatory. They would come to her to ask her to do things for them such as have a mass said for them, or to pray a rosary so that their souls could finally go to heaven. She was able to ask them questions: and I believe this is the main reason why I am so against this. Our sufferings on earth are for a reason. Although it’s easy to despair, there is a reason for it. She told a story about a young girl who had died and her parents came to see her to ask why God would have permitted such a terrible thing to happen. The next time she was visited by a soul, she asked him. And this is the answer she got: “this little girl, who had been so good had won many graces in her short life. God allowed her death to happen as in dying, she would guarantee that neither of her brothers would be lost”.
I can certainly understand how people would reach a level of despair deep enough to want this quick end- but we just can’t do it.

It goes under the commandment, Thou shalt not kill.

True, social engineering is always preceded by verbal engineering.

A rabbi told me that the commandment in Hebrew is really translated as “Thou Shalt Not Murder.”

Can’t help it. Common sense tells me if I see half a person in a bomb wreck screaming for mercy killing, I’d do it.

There is no one on earth I have ever loved more than each of my cats. And when the time came, I had the vet euthanize them. This was not murder.

Because murder applies only to humans.

If you kill the the “half” person that would be murder.

Euthanasia is not mercy killing. It is murder.

Suicide (assuming no conditions to reduce culpability) is self murder, a selfish act - nothing noble or dignified about it.

Suicide is never a good thing.

The best I could say of it is that there are times when it would be understandable, but I think those times would be limited to cases such as the following from real life, described in Bill O’Reilly’s book Killing Patton:

Erwin Rommel was a German general in WWII. He knew of the plot to kill Hitler and did not report it, thereby tacitly encouraging it. When Hitler lived, he ordered the deaths of whole families of anyone even remotely associated with it, i.e., the families were innocent even if particular people had some involvement.

The Gestapo arrived at Rommel’s home where his family was. They offered him a choice: Come with them and, in a few minutes, they would drive to a secluded spot where Rommel would be allowed to kill himself and his death reported as being on the battlefield. The alternative he was offered was for his family and himself to be rounded up; be the defendants in a kangaroo court “trial” where they would all be murdered in the most cruel means possible.

Rommel opted for suicide, and I can’t say I think his doing so was the least bit sinful under the circumstances.

No death is dignified. All death is undignified. You can only have dignity when you are alive. Dignity implies self respect. If you kill yourself you no longer respect yourself, and more importantly you don’t respect the God who created you.

Take God out of the equation and you’ve no longer a dilemma.

Lying in bed, racked with pain, dehydrated, drugged out of my mind, soiling my pants, bed sores eating away at me…that is not dignified.

Choosing to end my life with the assistance of a Doctor is absolutely dignified.

God is not needed.

Also, suicide in the face of a terminal illness probably falls under this bit from the Catechism:

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

My first post didn’t show up for some reason, so I’m re-posting.

Since we’re allowed to kill people in self-defense, couldn’t someone with a terminal illness make the argument that they are killing themselves in self-defense, to prevent the disease from torturing them for their remaining months/years?

NO! If they made such an argument that would contradict Church teachings.

CCC 2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

CCC 2325 Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.

Believe me you will soil your pants after you die. There’s nothing dignified about the act of death.

Could the same logic be used to justify killing someone else? :confused:

I guess the doctors who assist these suicides might use that logic.:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.