Suicide question

Is there a specific bible scripture that says where a person who commits sucide goes in the after life?

The suicidal act is Grave matter, so 1/3 of a mortal sin, the intent of the person is likely to kill themselves so grave matter and intent is there.

Suicide breaks the commandment “thou shalt not kill”, which is why its grave matter.

For their final destination we leave them unto the mercy of God, afterall to break the innate instinct of survival, i don’t reckon anyone that commits suicide can truly have mental knowledge/consent to the action, which therefore does not make it a mortal sin, and they can still find their home in Heaven with our Lord.

I hope your not asking because it’s something that you’re contemplating. If it is, we are here to help. Suicide is a permanent solution for a problem that was only temporary.

I have often wondered the same thing. I would think that God would take the persons mental state into consideration but it’s best not to chance it. This life in this world is only temporary.

The Church recognizes the state of mind of the individual who comitts suicide. It is no longer an automatic mortal sin, “if” it can be shown that the individual was not of a rational mind at the time.

I’m concerned about your post. If your feeling suicidal, ***please ***call 1-800-273-TALK.

Whatever people say about mortal sin, not mortal sin, or whatever, please, please, please call that number if your feeling suicidal.

Here is what the Catechism (CCC) says below (note the best scripture authority citation is the Fifth Commandment–Thou Shalt Not Kill…especially when linked morally to the second of the two greatest commandments: ."…love your neighbor as you love yourself…".

Also, as far a a scripture quote…remember that the Catholic Church has the power to “bind and loosen”…the Magisterium is also an authority in teaching that suicide is gravely immoral and contrary to God’s law…so if it is not explicitly in the bible…that is not the end of the “discussion”…just like IVF is not in the bible…but the Church (Magisterium) condemns it becasue it is intrinsically against God’s laws and plan.

Hope this is helpful.
Pax Christi

Suicide
2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls.** We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of. **
2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.
2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.
Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.
2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

2325 Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity.** It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.