Suit seeks removal of Bladensburg cross

From the Washington Post:
The American Humanist Association filed a lawsuit last week in federal court in Maryland calling for the removal of Bladensburg’s 40-foot Memorial Peace Cross, which honors men from Prince George’s County who died during World War I.

The association and three individual plaintiffs contend that the cross, which is on state property, violates the constitutional principle of separation of church and state. The cross was dedicated in 1925.

The lawsuit states that the humanist association is an organization that advocates progressive values and equality for humanists, atheists, and freethinkers. One of the individual plaintiffs, Steven Lowe of Washington, contends that the cross “associates a Christian religious symbol with the state and gives the impression that the state supports and approves of Christianity, as opposed to other religions,” the suit says.
Also see this, this, and this for more local coverage.

The cross is located here:

I point that out as, because of its location, most tourists would never see the cross and, in fact, most DC metro area residents would also likely never have seen the cross before either (Bladensburg is not exactly in the best part of town, as you can see by the map).

Here is a pic of the offending cross:

Here is a copy of the memorial plaque at the base of the cross:

Anyway, it’s clear that this is an offensive thing which, I’m certain, causes massive pain and suffering to any of the Montgomery County atheist liberals who go past the cross on a daily basis and must come down immediately (sarcasm fully intended). I also believe that the American Legion, the town of Bladensburg, the County of Prince George’s, and the State of Maryland, should be immediately sued for reparations to cover the severe psychological trauma caused by this cross and the consequent loss of income that it caused those people (more sarcasm intended).

Further, I believe that all publicly owned cemeteries should, as part of this effort, stripped of all crosses, like this highly offensive one:

After all, this was actually government-paid support for religion. (yet more sarcasm)

Actually, the State ought to. (cf. Pius IX, Syllabus of Errors.) :smiley:

Anyway, it’s clear that this is an offensive thing which, I’m certain, causes massive pain and suffering to any of the Montgomery County atheist liberals who go past the cross on a daily basis and must come down immediately (sarcasm fully intended). I also believe that the American Legion, the town of Bladensburg, the County of Prince George’s, and the State of Maryland, should be immediately sued for reparations to cover the severe psychological trauma caused by this cross and the consequent loss of income that it caused those people (more sarcasm intended).

Poor little guys. Do they want some Prozac to go with that? :stuck_out_tongue:

Further, I believe that all publicly owned cemeteries should, as part of this effort, stripped of all crosses, like this highly offensive one

Tear it down! And replace it with a statue of Mario and Luigi having a same-sex marriage. :wink:

You laugh, but there is the case of the person who wanted to use a Sponge-Bob tombstone for his deceased relative at a veteran’s cemetery (Google it if you doubt me).

“Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.” - Schiller, Joan of Arc.

The American Humanist Association

I’m starting to get tired of these guys.

ATB

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.