Sultan of Brunei unveils strict sharia penal code to include severing of limbs.

“Fines and jail terms for offences such as indecency, pregnancy out of wedlock and failure to attend Friday prayers, with future penalties to include flogging and death by stoning.”

“A second phase covering crimes such as theft and robbery is to be implemented later this year, involving more stringent penalties such as severing of limbs and flogging for crimes such as abortions, adultery and homosexual acts.”

This is a well educated, well travelled man. Knighted by the Queen. Worth $20billion. Generous to his subjects, they all receive free housing, a car, education to tertiary level and don’t pay taxes.

Why all of a sudden do this?

theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/30/sultan-brunei-sharia-penal-code-flogging-death-stoning

I can only imagine he’s come under the influence of some rather frightening advisors…

Wow, I’m surprised to see this thread because I’m a Bruneian who is a catholic but currently in the UK for studies.

It is now a crime to evangelise to anyone even to atheist, keep in mind we currently have no seminarians (although I am discerning) and we have 1 Bishop and 3 priests and no religious brothers or sisters…

Keep us in your prayers!

So if you’re raped and become pregnant out of wedlock you have a choice between being flogged, stoned to death, or having an abortion to try and avoid discovery and (if caught) being flogged or mutilated. I guess there’s also the possibility your family will just kill you for ‘dishonouring’ them. :rolleyes:

It literally makes me sick. These people need to stop living in the stone age. I don’t care if that’s politically incorrect, it’s true. :mad:

God bless and guide you in your discernment and Mother Mary take Brunei under Her protection. I can only imagine how sad this news of your homeland must make you. Don’t despair; God can make devout souls grow from the barest desert!

Espana156, if it is safe to do so, can you confirm if the Sultanate is as good to the people as described above?

I have recently spoken to someone based in Brunei and have received a very different message.

Thanks, and I pray that God is with you in your discernment.

Out of safety, I won’t comment on that unless it’s thru PM

The syariah law applies to muslim mostly such as having sex with a muslim outside of wedlock will be penalise, or killing a muslim then you’ll be stone to death. I’m no syariah expert so I don’t know the extend of the syariah law being applied to non-muslims.

:signofcross:

My sister, brother-in-law and niece live in Brunei. He is a teacher there. Been there for 3 years and love it, love the country and the people. I have prayed for them, Brunei and it’s people since they arrived.

They return permanently to Australia in August.

I have no inside information, but according to this:

The Sultan has become a more devout practitioner of Islam as he gets older. But his vision for a modern Brunei has always included a signature of moderation and tolerance in interpreting religion’s role in governance and society. The question is why change now? The new dictates appear to be emanating from the Ministry of Religious Affairs led by Minister Dr. Haji Muhammad bin Pengiran Haji Abdul Rahman. . . .

The question is why is the Sultan allowing his country to move toward a less tolerant, more fundamentalist application of Islam. That is not clear, but many Bruneians are privately concerned that creeping conservatism, led by the Minister of Religious Affairs, has created a political trap for the Sultan who has been spending time trying to forge a secure and economically prosperous future for his country. It may be hard, even for the Sultan who is the unchallenged and sole leader of Brunei, to disavow initiatives to make the country more devout.

cogitasia.com/bruneis-new-sharia-laws-motivations-and-implications/

We(people in Brunei) have some theories as to why the sudden implementation of the syariah law but again I do not risk posting it out in the happen.

:frowning: I’m sorry to hear that.

I’m in Australia so I can mouth off as much as I like :smiley:

I was reading a bit more about Shariah law and apparently extramarital sex (zina) needs either a repeated confession or four adult witnesses. I can’t help but think that is not going to be followed.

I have to admit I do not know much about brunei. So I do not know about the demographics of the country.

I know I would never want to live in a country that had shariah law.

Brunei is the fifth richest nation on earth based on its petroleum and natural gas fields. (Forbes)

Gas/Fuel costs around 55 Australian cents per litre… about 70 cents US per litre.

Nobody pays income tax there, locals and foreigners.

Citizens enjoy one of the highest standards of living in Asia (includes Australia/NZ)

Citizens have free Universal health care including major surgeries.

Free Universal Education for all citizens up to and including University is funded by the government.

Very low crime rate. Rarely any major crimes there. Mostly petty crime.

It was a moderate country before this new introduction of Sharia law.

40% of residents are foreigners.

Citizens make up 70% Muslim with Chinese buddhists/hindus and Christians in the minority.

Very picturesque (been there once to visit my sister). eco-tourism plays an important role in keeping its economy stable. Breath-taking views, bluer than blue water and lush green forests.

Fantastic place to live if you can behave yourself. I wouldn’t break any of the laws that would result in a limb severance either but I like the odd glass of wine, so not for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the info.

I live in the US and can post without fear. I’ll also be adding Brunei to my list of places to never, ever visit.

I first think of the people of Brunei, and how easily something like Sharia - even if it’s used in a well-intentioned sense of trying to lead people to a holy discipline in adherence with a majority faith - can become a tool of despotism. The groundwork is already there - the Sultan is an absolute monarch and nothing short of a military action (foreign or domestic) or his voluntarily absconding to a democratic government will remove that power. Without checks on authority, there’s no limit, and when church and state co-inhabit the same space used to dispense justice and arbitrate disputes, there’s a very real risk of abuse of power. That’s just in a general sense. We see it in Pakistan where a Christian woman was accused of blasphemy and told to either convert or be executed. In the US where we still retain an active distrust of authority and the ability to push out authority through the vote, by recalls and by open protests, we call out every possible example of abuse of power, recognizing that those with ability but without accountability tend too easily to become corrupt.

In a functional sense, I don’t see how such draconian measures benefit anyone. Giving the death penalty for every infraction - something more extreme than sharia - would discourage most crimes, but then actually having to carry it out (your 8-year-old walked the dog without a leash, in violation of a leash law, and the police will flog and hang him and the dog publicly in compliance with the law) leads to a difficult choice for the government - either implement the measures and appear sadistic and brutal, or give mercy to the child and lose the deterrent value of the death penalty. The system fails to truly deliver justice.

Harsher judicial punishments - even those that fall short of the death penalty or even of those given out through Sharia - may also work as perverse incentives. If you incur the death penalty for kidnapping someone, you have no reason to allow the kidnapped victim to live. This is a complaint with “Three Strikes” laws. By the same token, if Sharia were ever imposed in the U.S. (no, it will not happen) and harsh penalty such as stoning or amputation asserted for practicing the Catholic faith, I’d have zero reason to comply with any government laws. In fact, I’d have a gun in hand and be actively fighting against the government, knowing that my death will come sooner or later anyway. If the penalty for a theft is to lose a limb (which may mean death if you cannot, then, work) then a thief has no interest in surrendering or taking non-aggressive actions.

I’ll keep the people of Brunei in my prayers. Terrible thing to see religion of any kind used as an excuse for brutality.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.