Sumerians?

I was not sure where to put this topic. I was reading a bit about Sumeria yesterday and they are recognized as the oldest known civilization, but Im not sure if the bible talks about them or not, seems like they would.

There are some strange things regarding the Sumerians, its said they had 8 kings ruling for a period of 1000s of years, they also say these kings were of heavenly descent.

Years in what calendar? :slight_smile:

Preflood patriarchs seem to have lived to about 1000 years old, in the bible…look at this to get a better grasp on what is going on…

answersingenesis.org/bible-timeline/genealogy/did-adam-and-noah-really-live-over-900-years/

Genesis 11:31

“Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot, son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and **brought them out of Ur **of the Chaldeans, to go to the land of Canaan. But when they reached Haran, they settled there.”

“Ur” was a Sumerian city in which many Chaldeans had settled and ultimately became prominent.

Most scholars believe Abraham was actually either Sumerian or Babylonian.

So yes, it is mentioned in the bible.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ur#Identification_with_Biblical_Ur

Additionally, many scholars also see the Bible’s references to “Shinar” in Genesis 10:10 and 11:2 to mean Sumer. abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Shinar.html#.WRXXID-GPCY

Genesis 11:32 briefly mentions Ur (a city of Sumeria/Mesopotamia) as the place where Abraham came from prior to traveling to the land of Canaan.

“Terah took his son Abram, his grandson Lot, son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, the wife of his son Abram, and brought them out of Ur of the Chaldeans, to go to the land of Canaan. But when they reached Haran, they settled there.”

There was one of those alien astronaut episodes on tonight about ancient Sumerians, they claim they were aliens…gotta give them points for making outlandish claims! I really think they equated great age to great power, so tacked on some zeros to ages. Or even more likely, no-one translated cunieform numbers correctly! :slight_smile:

I did see something written about Sumerian kings being ‘not of this earth’, I think they called them ‘star people’ or star-gods, something like that, or maybe Im thinking of early south american history…?

More von Daniken fantasy productions? :eek:

It’s the oldest urban civilization known in Mesopotamia (they’re roughly contemporaneous with the Egyptians), but in terms of ‘oldest known civilization in the world’, there was this area near Jericho which was actually already occupied around 8000-7000 BC. (Seriously, one of the oldest urban settlements in the world is in Jericho - that place had been occupied by humans since 10,000 years ago.)

There are some strange things regarding the Sumerians, its said they had 8 kings ruling for a period of 1000s of years, they also say these kings were of heavenly descent.

Big deal, here in Japan the emperor and many priestly lineages - seriously, just about any other politically/religiously-important clan - also once claimed to be descendants of the gods. :shrug:

Abraham is as also likely to be a Semitic-speaking Akkadian as he is Sumerian IMHO, especially if you consider the time period he is thought to have lived in (2100-1800 BC, according to William Albright at least). The Sumerians were already conquered by the Akkadian Empire at that point.

They are NOT aliens as you put forward in many threads.

I never said they were.

Your comments imply and are leading to that.

“they also say these kings were of heavenly descent”

“not of this earth”

“star people’ or star-gods”

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.