Summer book list, opinion?

I’m wondering if anyone here is familiar with some of these book titles? They are on a summer reading list for school, but I’m not familiar with them all. Can anyone tell me if there is anything objectionable in the following…
The King Must Die by Mary Renault
I Wish I’d Been There: Twenty Historians Bring to Life Dramatic Events That Changed America edited by Byron Hollinshead
Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery (in French
Michelangelo and the Pope’s Ceiling by Ross King (how is the papacy handled?)
The American Pageant 13th ed. (class textbook) by David Kennedy, Lizabeth Cohen, Thomas Bailey—
The Art Spirit by Robert Henri
The Summer of 1787 by David O. Stewart
40 Studies That Changed Psychology by Roger Hock
Eats Shoots and Leaves, Lynne Truss
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
Cry, The Beloved Country, Alan Paton

I wonder how psychology is handled, as well as art, in these books.
Thanks for help on any of the titles.

Unfortunately, I haven’t read anything on this list and so can’t answer your question about art & psychology.

However, Mary Renault is a really good author- I haven’t read The King Must Die but I have read other novels of hers and can’t imagine she would write anything objectionable.

Also, The Little Prince is supposed to be a very good book. I never could get into it (too allegorical and French for me.) But many Catholic writers I’ve read have praised it.

I’ve read/heard of a few of those.

Le Petit Prince is indeed a fantastic book! I read it in English for my college-level introduction to philosophy course. It is thoroughly Catholic–beautifully written and illustrated, with a simple and heartfelt message. Highly recommended!

I am almost positive that Michelangelo and the Pope’s Ceiling is the book that the film The Agony and the Ecstasy is based on. Nothing objectionable in its portrayal of the papacy from what I can remember. Classic story, too.

I’ve heard that Eats Shoots and Leaves is overrated, but maybe that’s just me. I wouldn’t pick up a clever book about grammar for kicks in the summer, though, I don’t think.

I read Cry, the Beloved Country for summer reading my senior year of high school. It’s a great novel, and nothing worth objecting to. Beautiful and moving story of a prodigal son, from what I remember. I cried :o.

Eats, Shoots and Leaves? What class is the reading list for? English grammar?

What grade level are we talking about?

AP English-Sophomore

I think some Catholics might object to The Persian Boy by Mary Reanult. I honestly don’t remember the details, but I don’t think that there is anything objectionable in The King Must Die. It is an historical novel about Theseus. It’s been years since I have read it though.

Well, okay, but the best part is the foreward by Frank McCourt!

Amazon.com posts book reviews, both the professional ones, and also from normal readers. Look up the books on Amazon to find out what they are about.

In my opinion “Cry, The Beloved Country” is one of the top ten books I’ve ever read. Please, by all means, read this book. It is a thoroughly Christian book about a black South African Anglican priest who goes in search of his son and comes face to face with the racism that ruled South Africa at that time.

Three questions:

1.) Why do you distrust the idea of the AP reading list so much? You should really, seriously have considered asking the instructor before you gave the OK for the student to take the course. That’s why instructors exist,or part of the reason. Knowing this person is very important.
2.) I know* the American Pageant* retails for about $135. I recommand half.com, bookswap.com and other sources, rather than heading to the college bookstore with a list and a debit card. The list is easily $350 retail. A good ebay, half or bookswap collection will bring it down to between $0-$100.
3.) Have you considered reading along with your student? You could read a chapter or two ahead. Then, you would know what’s in the book, and if there’s a question, you can head it off at the pass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.