Sun Makes History: First Spotless Month in a Century

Sun Makes History: First Spotless Month in a Century

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/9109_soho8-31.jpg

The record-setting surface of the sun. A full month has gone by without a single spot (Source: Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO))

[LEFT]But will the rest of us? In the past 1000 years, three previous such events – the Dalton, Maunder, and Spörer Minimums, have all led to rapid cooling. One was large enough to be called a “mini ice age”. For a society dependent on agriculture, cold is more damaging than heat. The growing season shortens, yields drop, and the occurrence of crop-destroying frosts increases.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]dailytech.com/Sun+Makes+History+First+Spotless+Month+in+a+Century/article12823.htm[/LEFT]

does this debunk the theory of the warming of earth or is this part and parcel of all of it?

No worries Shoshanna…we just need to increase our CO2 production, so we can get a good greenhouse effect going. :wink:

I don’t know if it completely debunks the theory of greenhouse warming. However, sun spot activitity is not affected by the earth’s atmosphere. There have been some scientists that have linked the global warming (and cooling) to sun spot activity, but the global warming “consensus” is that those scientists are just “deniers” and can’t be taken seriously. Now, when the “consensus” crowd starts buying parkas for our upcoming cooling, it will be interesting to see how they explain their purchasing decisions…

Could this be from manmade space exploration vehicles that have fallen into the sun?

This means that global warming is much much worse than expected. In fact its getting warmer even though there are no sunspots. Scary.

We should see a cooling effect from this phenomenon, but it appears that the warming effect of CO2 is currently too great to make it noticable.

Perhaps it will moderate the current rapid increase in warming. That is a result to be hoped for.

Easy… They’ll say temperature fluctuations are to be expected. Anyway, I thought they changed terminology to “climate change”?

Oh you are right…my apologies…“climate change.” :doh2:

Do you know this Robert Frost poem?

Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

**:thumbsup: Some of you might understand where I am coming from…
This might make the listeners to Coast to Coast AM very unhappy;)

Ger**

I guess that depends on the inhabitants of the sun and how much oil they use in their SUVs.

I don’t remember that one.

Are you saying the world is going to end soon? I hope I don’t see you wandering around with one of those sandwich board things. :wink: :slight_smile:

“I saw the sign! No U-Turn…Keep Off the Grass!” - strange bum character in Rocket Man

No, no…It’s just every time I see the global warming vs new Ice age conversations, I laugh a bit and then I think of that poem…he’s got point when he says both will do the job just fine.

Meantime, the Earth continues to warm, regardless of anyone’s reasoning…

Or perhaps the whole thoery of global warming is hogwash to begin with.

It wasn’t that warm of a summer this year…actually a lot of days were wet and cold.

Now, last summer!:eek:

Whew! You had me concerned for a second there. :wink: :smiley:

We should all be responsible citizens:

Use what you need and don’t waste Gods Blessings.

Clean up after your self don’t expect others to do it for you (eg: mom or government)

Buy what you need and pray before you purchase your WANTS. God wants us to have both, but wants IMHO only in moderation.

I find that we as a society often confuse “wants” with “needs”. I “need” a new car. I “need” a new pair of shoes. I “need” to get groceries. Really, we would survive just as well with less food and worn out clothes and taking the bus.

Yeah, I don’t think 400 years of data is enough to establish warming/cooling patterns or atmospheric composition on a planet billions of years old or if you’re a young earth person 5,000 to tens of thousands of years old. It doesn’t make sense… Weather forecasts are listed in terms of percentages, yet the climate change, global warming folks are 100% in their certitude.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.