Sunday Mass obligation question

Last week I ended up in a long discussion with my mom that i got late and ended up at mass right after the people had given their offerings to the priest and he was heading back to the alter. I turned to leave but at the gate, something told me to stay and receive and to ask after mass about it then to attend a later mass if that attendance turned out to be not sufficient. I didnt get back in the building to avoid a spectacle but stayed outside at the window as their was a big crowd that was attending mass from outside. After mass i spoke to the seminarian who was assisting at mass and he told me that it was more of a venial sin so i didnt attend the evening mass as i was visiting a relative.

This last sunday im at the village at some family function for several days. Got up to go to mass and have found someone to take me. But my village relatives all tell me that the roads are too muddy and slipery and hilly for me as it has been raining. plus the church is some distance. its in the undeveloped country side without tarmarked roads. so i get scared to go and i dont go.

questions. first scenario- mortal sin for not attending the evening mass last week? second - was that a sufficient reason for not attending this past sunday?

[quote="Marybeloved, post:1, topic:289243"]
Last week I ended up in a long discussion with my mom that i got late and ended up at mass right after the people had given their offerings to the priest and he was heading back to the alter. I turned to leave but at the gate, something told me to stay and receive and to ask after mass about it then to attend a later mass if that attendance turned out to be not sufficient. I didnt get back in the building to avoid a spectacle but stayed outside at the window as their was a big crowd that was attending mass from outside. After mass i spoke to the seminarian who was assisting at mass and he told me that it was more of a venial sin so i didnt attend the evening mass as i was visiting a relative.

This last sunday im at the village at some family function for several days. Got up to go to mass and have found someone to take me. But my village relatives all tell me that the roads are too muddy and slipery and hilly for me as it has been raining. plus the church is some distance. its in the undeveloped country side without tarmarked roads. so i get scared to go and i dont go.

questions. first scenario- mortal sin for not attending the evening mass last week? second - was that a sufficient reason for not attending this past sunday?

[/quote]

For the first, not a sin unless you intentionally were late. If you're unsure, ask the priest in your next confession.

For the second, it was too dangerous to go, so yes, that was a sufficient reason. You're not required to go to Mass if you cannot get there safely.

Talk to your priest.

[quote="Marybeloved, post:1, topic:289243"]

[/quote]

Very good questions. You hadn't avoided Mass on purpose, but got there late. I guess I would agree with the seminarian that it could be a venial sin. In the other instance when you were traveling, the prudent thing might have been to avoid the dangerous roads. But if you are in doubt then you should always consult with a priest to be sure.

This is one of those “talk to your priest” questions, as others have indicated. I’ll give my own private thoughts on the scenarios you described though.

In the first situation, I would have left once I realized I was late and come back at the later time. In fact I once did this myself. I was halfway to the church when I realized I would be late, so I turned around and went to a later mass. Obviously this would not be possible if there wasn’t a later mass to go to, and then half a mass would presumably be better than none.

In the second situation, safety can certainly be a reason not to go to mass. Where I live we have snow storms in the winter, and sometimes it’s just not physically possible to drive anywhere, or else it is too risky to attempt. Obviously one shouldn’t start making excuses for skipping mass every time there’s a little slickness in the road, though. It’s a prudential call.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.