Sunday Mass Obligation

Does this still apply to those with the flu? Are you supposed to have the Eucharist delivered or make other arrangements to receive?

I would say having the flu would most definitely excuse the obligation of attending mass. Hope you feel better!

I believe you can certainly request an EM to celebrate the Eucharist to you, although with sickness and contagious diseases, the Sunday obligation is not in effect. The same applies with scenarios where a well parent is caring for a sick child. Hope you feel better!

The host is not “delivered” as you say.
People who are very ill, (long term illness, infirmed in a hospital setting, or are elderly and cannot reasonably attend Mass) can call the parish office and request that an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, a Deacon, or a Priest come and bring them the Holy Eucharist and visit them for prayers, and to see if they are in need of anything.

If you simply have the flu, just don’t go to Mass until you are no longer contagious. There’s no sin incurred.
A person is obligated to go attend Mass every Sunday and may also receive when well disposed. You do not have to receive communion each time. It good to do so though.

But if you are sick? Stay home.

You stay at home :stretcher:and make a Spiritual Communion,:gopray2:
by praying the Spiritual Communion Prayer.

Spiritual Communion Prayer
Oh Jesus,
I turn toward the holy tabernacle where You live hidden for love of me.
I love you, O my God.
I cannot receive you in Holy Communion.
Come, nevertheless, and visit me with Your grace.
Come spiritually into my heart. Purify it. Sanctify it.
Render it like unto Your own. Amen.

Lord, I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof,
but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Amen.

If you have the flu stay away from Mass and do not ask anyone to come to your house.
Being sick you have no Sunday obligation.

By the way the Sunday obligation is not related to receiving Communion. With regard to Communion, while it is recommended to frequently receive, we are only obligated to receive once a year during the Eater period.

Just noticed my typo. Eater should read Easter.

ok, that was just funny. :smiley:

I’ve stayed home from Mass if my cold/flu was severe to be charitable to others & allow myself ample rest to recover better. That worked well for me when I got a cold like thing in October then later in December when I got a different cold version. I simply read the daily scriptures on my kindle and watched EWTN’s Mass broadcast wrapped up in a thick blanket.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.