Sunday Mass Readings

We had a visiting priest in my parish at last Sunday's mass and when it was time for him to read the Gospel, he announced that he chose to read the Gospel of The Rich Man instead of the Church assigned reading of The Wedding at Cana. All the years I have been a Catholic, I have never heard a priest do this. Is this allowed or can a priest chose his own Gospel readings? :confused:

I don’t really have an answer, being a student in RCIA, I’d be rather perplexed. I read and study it ahead of time so I can be prepared for break open the word discussion aferward.

From the GIRM:

1. Sundays and Solemnities have assigned to them three readings, that is, from a Prophet, an Apostle, and a Gospel, by which the Christian people are instructed in the continuity of the work of salvation according to God’s wonderful design. These readings should be followed strictly

There are occasions in which there are optional readings from which the celebrant may choose. For example, on the Feast of the Holy Family, there are a number of options:

[list]*]Sir 3:3-7, 14-17a; Col 3:12-21 (or 12-17); Mt 2:13-15, 19-23
*]Gen 15:1-6, 21:1-3; Heb 11:8, 11-12, 17-19; Luke 2:22-40 (or 2:22, 39-40)
*]1 Sam 1:20-22, 24-28; 1 John 3:1-2, 21-24; Luke 2:41-52[/list]

Each of these three options is valid, and is chosen at the discretion of the priest celebrant.

However, in the example you’ve given, I can’t see where there are any options available for the 2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time. However, (and I might be wrong on this), I believe that it’s possible to celebrate a particular Votive Mass on a Sunday in Ordinary Time with the permission of the diocesan bishop. Giving your celebrant the benefit of the doubt… perhaps he was celebrating a Votive Mass?

No, it was just a regular Mass. The people in our RCIA program panicked because they thought they read the wrong reading. When we did the Breaking Open of the Word, we went along with the chosen readings for the 2nd Sunday in Ordinary Time.

I did not know the priest who said Mass…this was the first time he celebrated Mass at my parish. We do get a lot of priests that are studying at Notre Dame University and they help our pastor with Sunday Masses. I’m not even sure if our pastor was aware that the priest changed the Gospel reading.

That happened w/our people in RCIA. They thought they read and studied the wrong Gospel.

Hmm…

Do you recall which Eucharistic Prayer he used?

the presit should use the mass readings what been alacted or if there a number of options he may use if not it not a Sunday mass

Sunday, January 20th was the Feast Day of Blessed Basil Moreau, the founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross, the Religious order which founded Notre Dame and which staffs many parishes in the Diocese, likely yours. Those parishes are given permission to use the readings specifically chosen by the Church for his Feast Day.

your Diocese are not been as one church on a Sunday

Actually, Aran, you are incorrect. If you consult the Norms of the Liturgical Year, you will find that it is entirely proper and appropriate to replace the readings during Sundays in Ordinary Time for different reasons, among them being the Solemnity of the Founder of an Order or Congregation. It would probably have been a good idea for the priest (or someone on the RCIA staff) to explain that, but as someone who resides and works in a Parish in that Diocese, I was certainly aware of the occasion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.