Sunday Mass

Hello Everyone!

I’m glad to say that I’m getting confirmed in the Catholic Church this weekend! I understand that this Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Mass are all Holy days of obligation, correct? So I will be in attendance for each, especially Saturday since that’s my confirmation ;).

I also understand that this is Holy Week and that on “regular” weeks, Sunday Mass is always a Holy day of obligation. Here’s my question…on a “regular” week, if I chose to attend the Saturday evening Mass instead of the Sunday Mass, is this acceptable or would I be in the wrong for missing Sunday Mass?

Don’t get me wrong, I have NO problem attending Sundays, and I actually prefer Sundays. But I’m just wondering in case I’m traveling, etc if I went to Mass on a different day of the week anticipating a possible conflict with a Sunday Mass.

Thanks for the help!

Attending the Saturday evening Mass is the Sunday Vigil Mass. Yup, it fullfills your Sunday obligation!

Welcome home!

This week is indeed Holy Week, but no Mass is obligatory during this week except Sunday Mass. The Mass on Holy Thursday and the special services of Good Friday are truly moving and if you can go to them, wonderful. The are not obligatory though.

During every week of the year, we are obliged to go to a Sunday Mass. That Mass can be at any time from Saturday evening starting about about 4 or 5pm (the anticipated Mass) through Sunday night. You can find 7,8, 9pm Sunday evening Masses in many places. Any Sunday Mass at any Catholic parish will fulfil your obligation.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

And there is no “Saturday” Mass in the Easter Triduum. Good Friday and Holy Saturday are the only days in the year without a Mass.

Welcome home. :harp:

Holy Saturday is not a Holy Day of Obligation. In the U.S. the days are:

1. January 1, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
  2. Thursday of the Sixth Week of Easter, the solemnity of the Ascension
  3. August 15, the solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
  4. November 1, the solemnity of All Saints
  5. December 8, the solemnity of the Immaculate Conception
  6. December 25, the solemnity of the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Personally I treat Ash Wednesday as a Holy Day of Obligation. And Easter is on a Sunday.

As I recall there is no dismissal [Go the mass is ended. Thanks be to God.] on Holy Thursday. The Sacrament is removed to the altar of repose and adoration continues until midnight. It resumes with the Friday Liturgy and concludes in the Vigil Mass. In some sense it is a continuous rite which is good to attend as much of as one can.

However, the only obligation is to attend the Sunday mass at either the Vigil or during the day. If planning to go late in the day be careful to check times. Some places cancel the Sunday evening mass on Easter. The clergy and helpers are exhausted and attendance would be sparse.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.