Sunday obligation fulfulled on Saturday

Why is it ok to go to Mass on Saturday and still fulfill the Sunday obligation?

I heard (though this may be off) is that the hebrews judged the day from Sundown to Sundown. So by that judgement of time Sunday would attcually start on what we would consider Saterday afternoon. So thats how I think it works.

In the Liturgy of the Hours there is Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer for every day of the week except Saturday. On Saturday there is only Morning Prayer. Sunday Evening Prayer Number 1 is said on Saturday evening. I believe that this harkens back to the Jewish understanding that a day is from sundown to sundown.

We follow that same practice with our Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Eucharist (The Mass). As Christians we extend the Easter celebration of every Sunday beyond the sundown of Sunday evening. Easter (Resurrection) is what we celebrate each and every Sunday of the year.

It is thought that the early Christians (before the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD and the expulsion of the Christians as a sect within Judaism) celebrated the Liturgy of the Word on the Sabbath in Synagogue (Sp) and then came together on the First day (our Sunday) to celebrate the Liturgy of the Eucharist (and the Resurrection of the Lord). After the break, they just combined the two.

Last Easter one of our candidates had a Jewish friend that came to the Easter Vigil to support her journey of faith. This woman had never attended a Catholic Mass before. At the reception that followed, all she could talk about was how similar the service was to her Synagogue and how she felt right at home. In fact, she said that except for knowing the Christian prayers and the New Testament readings she could follow the entire service. She was astonded at the amount of Hebrew readings! Visiting with her, I was reminded of the question one of my theology professors used to tell us we should ask our selves every day…“Am I being Jewish enough?” in your faith life and spirituality.

Hi Riley,

Have you ever heard of First Vespers? On the eve of major feasts, instead of using the Vespers of the Day, we have First Vespers theming the feast of the next day. Then on the day itself, we have Second Vespers. The Saturday Mass is an application of that idea.

On the other hand, who says Saturday is Saturday or Sunday is Sunday? Throughout history, people have used different incompatible calendars. And in the 16th C., we skipped 10 days!

Verbum

Sunday obligation for Mass can be fulfilled by attending a Saturday evening service, but because Sunday is the Lord’s day, you should have a good reason for it. Wanting to watch a football game is a bit selfish; being unable to get out of work is better. :thumbsup:

Hi Dafalax,

There is nothing in church law that says that you have to have a special reason to fulfil your Sunday obligation on Saturday night. Please. There are enough sins already. Let’s not add to them.

Verbum

[quote=Riley259]Why is it ok to go to Mass on Saturday and still fulfill the Sunday obligation?
[/quote]

Because the Church says so…binding and loosing, keys, and all that.

[quote=Verbum]Hi Dafalax,

There is nothing in church law that says that you have to have a special reason to fulfil your Sunday obligation on Saturday night. Please. There are enough sins already. Let’s not add to them.

Verbum
[/quote]

Whoa Nellie! Enough sins already? And I’ve already gone through my quota; I’m going through the list for a second time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.