Sunday Obligation

If you are not able to go to Mass for whatever valid reason, is there obligation to do something else to make up for it in some way?

No, the following is “strongly recommended” but does not rise to the level of obligation.

Canon 1248 §2. If participation in the Eucharistic celebration becomes impossible because of the absence of a sacred minister or for another grave cause, it is strongly recommended that the faithful take part in a liturgy of the word if such a liturgy is celebrated in a parish church or other sacred place according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop or that they devote themselves to prayer for a suitable time alone, as a family, or, as the occasion permits, in groups of families.

I like to watch a recording of a Mass on my computer if I have a valid reason for missing (such as being extremely sick), but that is not a requirement.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.