Sunday or Sabbath, how do you do it?

I have a friend, bless his heart…, who is a SDA. We have, for 10 years, discussed, dissed, and cussed the whole Sabbath vs. Sunday debate. That is NOT what this thread is about. I have acknowledged that I do not honor the commandment, regardless of which day I do it on, and my friend feels the same. I want to fix that, and repent.

The question is, how are we to “Keep” holy the Sabbath (Lord’s Day).? The Jews had specific laws about food preparation, walking, unnecessary work, etc. I don’t think that is a part of honoring the Sabbath. The CCC states that we are to refrain from work, and not make others work on that day either. How do you keep the Sabbath? What says the RCC?

Thanks,
Kevin

as a family we attend Mass and worship God. we go home eat lunch,no chores, no birthday parties, no going out for dinner.
we spend time as a family.talking and getting to know eachother. Sunday is a day of rest. we talk about our faith,learn about our faith from various books we have through out the house.we slow down. family movies after 6pm.boardgames(we have a Catholic one:) stuff like that.

After Meeting we go out to lunch and take someone with us. “Better the day, better the deed.” Since I usually don’t ascribe any special significance to First Day (Sunday) other than attending a Meeting for Worship, I seek to keep all days of the week as “holy” as my “Sabbath” isn’t a day of rest. Christ is now our “Sabbath Rest”, and it is in Him the law and it’s requirements find fulfillment.

Just as the Old Testament “prefigured” the coming of Christ, so to the Sabbath “prefigured” the rest we have in Him.

As a Catholic, we get the best of BOTH worlds. We can attend Sunday Mass which is celebrated after sundown [that is the next day according to tradition before the advent of clocks] and still attend Mass on Saturday evening.

I have been attending Mass on Saturday’s for the past 20-years.

Catholics the world over keeping the Sabbath: What does the SDA have to say about that? :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree Sixtus, we do have the best of both worlds. When I told my friend that we had Mass on Saturday, he said “when did they start that?” I also explained that we have Mass everyday, at the same hour all around the world. It makes the prophecy of Malachi come true. As the world turns, Mass is celebrated everywhere each hour,(wherever there are people). The sacrifice of the Mass being offered all day, everyday. Beautiful.

Peace,
Kevin

I’m a former SDA, now Catholic.

I too am tired of endless debate on the topic.

As a Christian, my best understanding of the New Testament is that Christians are not commanded to worship ANY specific day, and further, that we are cautioned in judging others on the day they choose to worship and/or rest. I do agree that the example of the earliest Christians is to observe Sunday in honor of the resurrection. I find Adventist claims to the contrary unconvincing.

As a Catholic, I gladly submit to the authority of the Church, who asks us to keep Sunday as a memorial of the resurrection and new creation by attending mass on that day. I don’t find these two statements contradictory, I do feel that sorting out the two very different issues helps keep clarity. Most SDA want to challenge the Church for changing a biblical instruction. I don’t find the biblical instruction we supposedly changed to begin with.

anyway… as far as keeping Sunday,

Here’s a link to Pope John Paul II’s advice :slight_smile:
vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_05071998_dies-domini_en.html

Also, I find the Catechism very clear on the matter of Sabbath and Sunday. If you use the following link to the Vatican web page search, and enter ‘sunday’ (without the quotes) you will find a box that pops up with all the CCC references regarding Sunday.

vatican.mondosearch.com/search.aspx

MarysRoses

Kevin posted:

It makes the prophecy of Malachi come true. As the world turns, Mass is celebrated everywhere each hour,(wherever there are people). The sacrifice of the Mass being offered all day, everyday. Beautiful.

Yes, that is very true,24/7 not only every hour but the Sacred Host is constantly being consecrated. Communion is constantly being distributed. The Gloria is constantly being prayed. The Lords Prayer is constantly being recited.

That is soooooooooo powerful. It makes one feel very proud but also very humble :slight_smile:

I agree with the above so much. I just returned from celebrating Mass at 6:00 PM on Sunday in Tokyo. It is truly awesome to realize Mass is being celebrated all over the world, all the time. And as a guest in a foreign country, it is refreshing to be reminded that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, no matter what our ethnicity or citizenship. I am truly blessed, and thankful, to be a member of the Catholic family.

As a sidenote, I often attend Mass on Saturdays. It is liberating to be able to celebrate Mass every day of the week.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

Maria 1212 posted:

it is refreshing to be reminded that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ, no matter what our ethnicity or citizenship. I am truly blessed, and thankful, to be a member of the Catholic family.

I find it that way too. :slight_smile:

There is no alien, neither black or white, but brothers and sisters all equal before Almighty God. That too is ecumenism :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.