Sunday

Pax et bonum!
How do we know that what we call Sunday in our time is the same day of the week Jesus had his resurrection? Couldn't it be that our Saturday or Monday would have been that day, that Sunday of Jesus? What evidence do the Church have?

[quote="henrikhank, post:1, topic:286881"]
Pax et bonum!
How do we know that what we call Sunday in our time is the same day of the week Jesus had his resurrection? Couldn't it be that our Saturday or Monday would have been that day, that Sunday of Jesus? What evidence do the Church have?

[/quote]

What evidence does anybody have that days of the week were skipped at some time in the past?

Do you occasionally skip a day just for fun or something?
Why do you think anybody would do that?

I tend to think of it as a bit like Christmas. We don't know the date of Jesus' birth. There is even some dispute as to what season of the year it might have been (some scholars think it couldn't possibly have been winter if the shepherds were outside with their sheep, some think it's possible that it was indeed winter). Then there's the whole issue of differences between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox calendars.

Nonetheless a particular date has been chosen to celebrate His birth, and we do so yearly on that date. Do you really think He minds, given there's no way to be certain that it's the correct date? Of course not - He simply loves that we honour His birth, whichever day of the year we choose to do so.

So it is with Sundays.

Pax et bonum!

[/quote]

Scientists have recently prooven that Christ died on April 3re in the year 33 AD at 3 PM. Through lay sources, independant of the New Testament, they were able to track down the exact time of the solar eclipse and the earthquake that occured upon His death as reported in the Bible. You must remember that in Jerusalem at the time of Christ, the day ended and the new day began at sundown-and there were no clocks as we know them today. So he died and was buried on a Friday, remained in Tomb over the Sabbath(Saturday) and rose from the dead on the third day(Sunday).
So, even if you are a non-believer, There is independant historical proof that Christ lived and was crucified by the Romans just as is reported in the New Testament.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:4, topic:286881"]
Scientists have recently prooven that Christ died on April 3re in the year 33 AD at 3 PM. Through lay sources, independant of the New Testament, they were able to track down the exact time of the solar eclipse and the earthquake that occured upon His death as reported in the Bible. You must remember that in Jerusalem at the time of Christ, the day ended and the new day began at sundown-and there were no clocks as we know them today. So he died and was buried on a Friday, remained in Tomb over the Sabbath(Saturday) and rose from the dead on the third day(Sunday).
So, even if you are a non-believer, There is independant historical proof that Christ lived and was crucified by the Romans just as is reported in the New Testament.

[/quote]

It should also be remembered that to the ancient world of that time, a day was counted as any part of what we consider a 24 hour period. So, Jesus did not have to be dead for 72 hours for the Gospel writers to be honest in stating that he was dead for three days.

Pax et bonum!

[/quote]

My understanding is that there is no definitive proof that the weekly cycle has never been broken. However, there is certainly no evidence that it has been broken, and it is indeed difficult to see how it could have been -- such a variation would have screwed up contracts, interfered with labor, and posed difficulties for worshipers of various religions. Even if, say, the ruler of one city or country had decreed such a change by fiat, it can hardly be imagined that everybody else would have gone along with it, including even the Jews in the Holy Land who keep their weekly Sabbath religiously.

Scientists have recently prooven that Christ died on April 3re in the year 33 AD at 3 PM. Through lay sources, independant of the New Testament, they were able to track down the exact time of the solar eclipse and the earthquake that occured upon His death as reported in the Bible.

[/quote]

An eclipse on that date is impossible, as the moon was full. An eclipse can only occur during a new moon, when the moon is directly between the sun and earth and none of its visible surface is illuminated. A full moon is by necessity on the wrong side of the earth to cause an eclipse.

[/quote]

This is simply not true. Nobody knows the date Jesus was born or the date when he died. We do not even know how old he was when he died.

[/quote]

This is simply not true. Nobody knows the date Jesus was born or the date when he died. We do not even know how old he was when he died (and nor does it matter).

[quote="thistle, post:8, topic:286881"]
... or the date when he died. We do not even know how old he was when he died (and nor does it matter).

[/quote]

That's simply not true. We do know the approximate date when he died, as the Gospel gives very specific clues (the Last Supper was a Passover meal).

We can also know the approximate age when he died:

First, Jesus began his ministry during the 30th year of His life on earth (Luke 3:23).

We know that He was born between 3-2 BCE, which would mean that His ministry would have started somewhere between 27 and 29 CE. Luke says that the Baptizers' ministry began during the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar (28 CE). Therefore, Jesus started His ministry after that (29-30 CE).

The length of Jesus' ministry was about 3 (maybe 4) years. John writes definitely that at least three Passovers (therefore 3 years) occurred during Jesus ministry (four if you include the Last Supper).

1 Passover; John 2:13
2 Passover; Luke 6:1
3 Passover; John 6:4
4 Passover; John 19:14

The end result is therefore that Jesus was 33-34 when He died.

I have had a similiar question in the past.

From the brief investigation, I found that there was at one time for the Romans an 8 day week. It seems though that the seven day week has been the standard for a long time. I think it has been established that the week as we know it was the same in Jesus day. It is true that a part of the day was counted as a whole. It is also true that the Jewish culture counted a new day at sunset.

The Inspired Word of God....the Teachings of the Church.....the witness of the early Christians....etc.

[quote="bmadamsberry, post:9, topic:286881"]
That's simply not true. We do know the approximate date when he died, as the Gospel gives very specific clues (the Last Supper was a Passover meal).

We can also know the approximate age when he died:

First, Jesus began his ministry during the 30th year of His life on earth (Luke 3:23).

We know that He was born between 3-2 BCE, which would mean that His ministry would have started somewhere between 27 and 29 CE. Luke says that the Baptizers' ministry began during the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar (28 CE). Therefore, Jesus started His ministry after that (29-30 CE).

The length of Jesus' ministry was about 3 (maybe 4) years. John writes definitely that at least three Passovers (therefore 3 years) occurred during Jesus ministry (four if you include the Last Supper).

1 Passover; John 2:13
2 Passover; Luke 6:1
3 Passover; John 6:4
4 Passover; John 19:14

The end result is therefore that Jesus was 33-34 when He died.

[/quote]

You are contradicting your previous post which was giving an exact date for his death. That is not true.
Scripture does not say when he was born, when he died or how old he was.
It says he was about 30 when he started his public ministry. That can mean several years before 30 or several years after 30. It seems strange that you and a scientist know but the Church doesn't!!

about means a : reasonably close to several in my opinion would not be accurate. About meaning reasonably close would mean 30 not 23 nor 37. We cannot know exactly but we can get reasonably close.

[quote="adrift, post:13, topic:286881"]
about means a : reasonably close to several in my opinion would not be accurate. About meaning reasonably close would mean 30 not 23 nor 37. We cannot know exactly but we can get reasonably close.

[/quote]

For me about 30 can mean anything from 27 to 33. The bottom line is nobody actually knows.
It also doesn't matter when Jesus died or how old he was when he died. Knowing it would be interesting but it has absolutely no impact on our faith or salvation.

[quote="thistle, post:12, topic:286881"]
You are contradicting your previous post which was giving an exact date for his death. That is not true.
Scripture does not say when he was born, when he died or how old he was.
It says he was about 30 when he started his public ministry. That can mean several years before 30 or several years after 30. It seems strange that you and a scientist know but the Church doesn't!!

[/quote]

I don't know how I contradicted myself. I stated nothing about not knowing the date of Christ's birth. You might have read someone else's post and thought it was me.

1) About does not mean 7 years. It means close to (i.e. 1-3 years). If I told you that a movie ticket was about $7, and we got there and it was either FREE or $14, wouldn't you be upset with me? That's a very wide margin for "about."

2) Scripture does not give us a date, but because of the information given in the Matthew and Luke we can know within just a few (is this term too ambiguous?) years. We know who the ruler was, and that there was some kind of census. From this, we know that the date is around 3-2 BCE.

3) Again, if we count the Passovers recorded in Scripture after the start of His ministry, we see that he was 33-34 when he died. (Just look at my earlier post)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.