Sunday14December - Feast of St. John of The Cross

Since 14th. December this year falls on a Sunday which outranks the feastday of a saint, most calendars I have sighted have shifted the commemoration of this Feast to Monday 15th. December for this year.

http://www.ourgardenofcarmel.org/images/johncrossLR.jpg
Short Biography and some Carmelite Writings on St. John
ourgardenofcarmel.org/stjohn.html

Liturgical Prayers for the Feast of St. John
ocd.ie/spirituality.php?article=carmelite_ocd_feast_days_st_john_of_the_cross_dec_14

Carmelite Books online
ctocds.com/books/index.htm

More Carmelite Texts online from Carmelite Studies - St. John of TheCross
icspublications.org/archives/others/cs6.html

I can’t find anything in my O.Carm. Ordo implying that the feast has been moved, nor can I find it in the Calender for the Universal Church.

I do think, however, that the Discalced Friars would have permission to move it since John of the Cross is a founder of sorts for them.

That would be interesting to see.

In Carmel,

Br. Allen

Hi Brother…I picked it up from a Carmelite OCD discalced website somewhere - that it was going to be celebrated this year on a Monday but did not record the website. I am sure The Lord will not be offended since my error, if I have made one, was unintentional; and I am sure you would know more than I:thumbsup: I do appreciate any potential corrections as it can be difficult to keep up with such matters at times.:thumbsup:

I just found the place, it comes from an OCDS Yahoo Group I belong to link:
groups.yahoo.com/group/ocds/message/11322

[ocds] St John of The Cross Solemnity

It was moved to Monday, December 15, 2008 because December 14, 2008 falls on an Advent Sunday.

LOTH/Fasting schedule:

Saturday, Dec. 13, 2008 - Vigil Fasting for the Solemnity of St. John of the Cross
Sunday, Dec. 14, 2008 - Evening Prayer (Vespers) II = 3rd Sunday of Advent
Monday, Dec. 15, 2008 - Solemnity of St. John of the Cross

[ocds] St John of The Cross Solemnity

It was moved to Monday, December 15, 2008 because December 14, 2008 falls on an Advent Sunday.

LOTH/Fasting schedule:

Saturday, Dec. 13, 2008 - Vigil Fasting for the Solemnity of St. John of the Cross
Sunday, Dec. 14, 2008 - Evening Prayer (Vespers) II = 3rd Sunday of Advent
Monday, Dec. 15, 2008 - Solemnity of St. John of the Cross

How thrilling to see that sketch, by St. John of the Cross… again! Thanks for posting it, Barb.

I first saw it, last week… on the EWTN program… “Super Saints”. It was on the life of St. John of the Cross. In reading the life of St. Teresa of Avila, I don’t remember reading anything about St. John’s artistic talent. But he certainly had the gift!

:smiley:

:thumbsup: …I have often thought that the sketch is at a most unusual angle for an artists impression of the crucifixion?

Barb

Indeed. Makes you wonder… how was St. John able to perceive this angle, in his mind? Perhaps he had… help? :wink:

It certainly takes an intelligent and agile mind to perceive things as they are not usually perceived. Here’s Salvador Dali’s homage to St. John’s work:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_of_Saint_John_of_the_Cross

Thank you, Frances! I’ve seen this image many times, on Father John Corapi’s show. I had no idea it was painted by Salvador Dali! I have a new respect for Dali, now! He’s not just about melting clocks, etc. :rotfl:

God bless.

…and for a Carmelite perspective on the drawing…
icspublications.org/archives/others/cs6_13.html

Say “Dali” and immediately a melting clock pops into the mind too:D …

Ah yes… That makes sense. Since John’s feast is a solemnity for OCD, it makes sense that they would move it. It only ranks as a Feast for us, so we didn’t celebrate it, other than to remember him in our intercessions.

Good Call!

Yes, for this reason:

Saint John of the Cross is a principal Saint for the Discalced Carmelite and thus is a Solemnity for them. Solemnities for the titular saint, founder, or principal patron of an order or congregation is a tier 4 feast (according to the current table of liturgical precedence) – but Sundays of Advent are tier 2 feast days and thus win out. If his feast was during Christmas or Ordinary time (tier 6), the feast would win out.

But, since a Solemnity cannot not be celebrated, it gets transferred to the first day that it can take precedence (which is why some years recently we have celebrated the Annunciation on the Monday after Divine Mercy Sunday). Thus, his feast for the Discalced Carmelites gets transferred to the first day the feast takes precedence, which is the 15th.

Did you follow that? :stuck_out_tongue:

Goodnesshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_3.gif…I sure did not understand it but am really thankful that there are those amongst us who can!:thumbsup:

This was actually a “vision” St. John had one day at prayer. He saw it from the perspective of God the Father looking down on God the Son.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.