Sundays and work

I am in charge of the work schedule at my particular workplace, and I was wondering if it would be appropriate (if not a responsibility) to make sure that I don’t schedule the practicing Catholic employees to work on Sundays (although none of them have actually requested this specifically). There are plenty of other people who could cover the shifts and the work we do isn’t exactly life and death (I work at a cafe), so business wouldn’t suffer at all.

Whaduya think? Am I overstepping my boundies?

• Dan

Well, I’m no authority on this kind of thing, but I do want to say that I think it’s terrific that you are thinking of doing this. It’s a contribution to others’ spiritual well-being, and I think you are to be applauded for thinking of it.

Having said that, I just hope this isn’t something that would get you in any kind of trouble.

[quote=dan]I am in charge of the work schedule at my particular workplace, and I was wondering if it would be appropriate (if not a responsibility) to make sure that I don’t schedule the practicing Catholic employees to work on Sundays (although none of them have actually requested this specifically). There are plenty of other people who could cover the shifts and the work we do isn’t exactly life and death (I work at a cafe), so business wouldn’t suffer at all.

Whaduya think? Am I overstepping my boundies?

• Dan
    [/quote]

What I would suggest is that as a minimum you insure that the Catholics have a least time off either Saturday early evening or Sunday morning to attend Mass. As well as Holy days of obligation, either the vigil or on the Holy day. That would be my suggestion.

I’d say that’s really good of you to take their religious needs into account! :thumbsup: My work place is very good about such things and I can tell you that we all really appreciate it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.