Sundays are the Worst

Interesting find on the Stuff Fundies Like forum. A pastor in the hopes of making amends to waitresses and waiters who always get treated horribly by most the “church crowd” on Sundays.

sundaysaretheworst.com/

Everybody’s a victim. Like no one ever received bad service in a restaurant? Which do you think is more common? Maybe the reason servers encounter more problems on Sunday (not sure how that is measured) is because they are more busy, hence service degrades, and complaints (and low tips) increase? If you are in a service industry and you haven’t realized yet that disgruntled customers are an opportunity, you have the wrong attitude, and you will not be very successful.

When I was a fundy years ago I found it quite amusing that the same preachers who would rail against “working on the Lord’s day” were the first ones in line at the local Chinese buffet when the service was over. Being served by people who were…working on Sunday. :rolleyes:
Can’t speak for what it is like for the servers, but it’s pretty easy to “spot the preacher” during the Sunday lunch rush.

My sister was a server for over 20 years, and Sundays are consistently the worst day of the week to work. Yes the crowds are greater, but this does not automatically mean poor services. This is when she had the most men, in the presence of wives and children, flirt and make lude comments or even get touchy feely, this is when customers left without paying, this is when the most road rage occurs in the parking lot, this is when servers get yelled at the most, and they witness more mistreatment of children and spouses than they can count.

Bad service is not an excuse to act like an animal, to walk out on your ticket. It is not ok to let the kids run all over the restaurant like loose chickens, to yell at people, mistreat your wife or husband or drive like an idiot in the parking lot. Sure there are less than excellent servers, but most are doing the best they can and doing a good job. No matter what state my sister lived in Sundays were the worst.

Her battle cry was : “Here come the Christians!” Had she relied on most of their behavior and attitudes to convert to the Faith she would still be waiting. And it does not matter what denomination the folks came from.

I worked at Taco Bell for years and while I rarely worked on Sundays, when I did, I hated it. The lunch crowd was obnoxious. The problem is that they all arrive at exactly the same time and then get really annoyed that other people are there and they have to wait to order food. Then they get cranky and there is nothing you can do to please them. There was always more people who showed up than we had room for in the dinning room, and then to make things move even slower, they would make sure and trash the area all around where they were sitting so that someone had to come around with a mop bucket before anyone could eat there again.

I guess I can see both sides here. I’ve never worked in the hospitality industry, but a couple of my kids and a dozen of my grandkids have done so through college, and they all seem to harbor the same opinions about Sundays. I don’t think one can so quickly dismiss this as a decrease in service quality due to increased volume since Sundays were never any of their busiest shifts (Friday evenings and Saturdays at any time were consistently more busy and they’d usually pull in a higher tip percentage at the end of their shift). I’ve also been told horror stories similar to these, where a prayer card or Bible tract is given in lieu of a tip! That’s just unacceptable! Then again, my kids and grandkids would hardly ever work Sundays since our religion frowns on it so their experiences might be too few to draw a generalized conclusion from.

Part of me wonders how much of this is selection bias too. You’re more likely to remember the crabby, rude, insulting, poor tippers than you are to remember the kind, sensitive, grateful ones. I bet there have been many “Church Folk” who eat at restaurants on Sundays but because they are quite gracious aren’t the types to wear their religion on their sleeves. If such people are kind and tip 20%+ but never once mention their religion, don’t leave religious tracts as a gratuity, or say anything else indicating that they just left church wouldn’t the waiter more than likely just assume those customers were not “Church Folk”?

My youngest grandson is in college right now and works as a host/server part time in a part of town with a relatively high population of gays. He constantly complains about having to serve gay men as (according to him) they always try to flirt, get too touchy, have ridiculously complicated and picky orders, are loud and campy, bother other patrons, etc. This is of course a stereotype of gay men which I’m sure isn’t characteristic of all gay men. I’ve asked him the same thing: “Except for wearing a name tag that said ‘I’m a gay man’, and assuming a male patron of yours did not do any of those things, how would you even know he’s a gay patron?”

It’s also human nature to stereotype people and subconsciously alter our behavior towards them based on these stereotypes, which I’m sure also plays a role in all of this. How many “good” patrons who just so happened to get out of church are treated poorly by servers from the get go because the server already expected them to be no different than the “other Church Folk”? We already know this happens with restaurant patrons of particular ethnicities and races. I’ve observed first hand how some of my Black colleagues are treated in restaurants compared to how I am as a White man. I’ve actually overheard a waiter once after being stiffed by Black patrons mention to his coworker “yeah, well I wasn’t expecting much from those people anyway. That’s why I didn’t pay much attention to them.” :eek:

The moral of this story is very important for all Christians though: you should always be on your best behavior as you’re representing Christ himself.

Based on my sister’s experience, and her open nature to all people, I would say there is little bias going on. Based on my own experience working in Fast Food, I can attest that Sundays were just awful in general. And sadly it was the day that one could be assured of some pretty nasty behavior from those obviously dressed for Church.

A really bad day to go shopping is Sunday. Now I only go if it is an emergency anyway, but oh good grief. I have witnessed some of the nastiest behavior, most rude children and overheard some of the most disgusting gossip on Sundays. I get in and get out as fast as possible, and my family generally does not eat out on Sundays. Unfortunately there is some really obnoxious stuff going on with folks who supposedly have just attended Sunday Worship or Mass. It is hard to swallow sometimes.

Any restaurant owners out there? Are your staff being bullied every Sunday afternoon? Do you really believe your wait staff are powerless victims with no influence on the customer experience? How happy would you be to recognize your staff posting comments about “bad” customers online? Who complains most about the customers in the kitchen, your best waitress or the one with an inflated sense of self?

I can only speak of my sister, but when she was able to work she was known as one of the best waitresses out there, and in every state of city she lived in. Regardless of were she worked or lived Sunday’s always turned out to be horrible.

I have eaten in many different types of restaurants over the years, from “high end” to plain family cafe’s. Most of the time the service is great, even on very busy days, like Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day and so forth. On the rare occasion that I did have bad service I simply let the manager know, and I was careful to make sure he/she understood if the problem was the waitress or actually the kitchen. Bad cooks and kitchen staff can make a good waitress look like a dud.

As a patron I have witnessed other patrons mistreat waitresses to such a degree that I have actually interfered. I have heard them plot lies about the quality of food, change orders so many times that if the server did make an error it would be understandable, seen them walk out on tickets, heard them fight, beat their kids and so on. From my own 45 years of dining out I have to say the customers are usually in the wrong and not the staff. Sorry.

Obviously you’ve never found a chick tract left as a tip on the table, or been told when delivering pizza to a mega Evangelical church “here’s a tip, lose the beads” referring to the rosary on the rear view mirror of the restaurants delivery truck. I have to say though in my experience the absolute worst tippers ever were car salesmen. I waited tables on them and delivered pizza to them and they always under tipped if they tipped at all.

The more busy thing doesn’t fly, restaurants schedule more people when they’re more busy, you think they don’t have a clue when the customers are going to show up?

Sundays are filled with gracious people, those who tip 20%, those who smile and treat you respectfully and personally, and those who see you being run ragged by the other kind and offer you words of sympathy . Sometimes the gracious one even “pity tip” you to give a lift after a particularly nasty bunch, this can happen on any day of the week but Sunday morning if the “pity tippers” are dressed up I’ve always assumed they are church folk. None of the people on the linked site are saying all Christians are like this and there is no reason to assume that the accounts of specific customers and incidents are fanciful tales or experiences they brought upon themselves.

And if you don’t feel like being considerate (I’ll forgive you and yours if you’re not on your best behavior), don’t advertise your Christian affiliation.

Why shouldn’t they post comments about bad customers on line, it’s not like they are giving any personal information. Where is the "Mr. Sfacab did this to me at the Eper in Bumbledier IA? What to the owners of restaurants have to say that out weighs the experience of the employees, why should the owners opinion of the waitstaff’s experience carry any weight?

The owner’s opinion is important because it is his business, his investment. In my experience ( admittedly in other industrues) people are usually not the problem, but process usually is. As you pointed out yourself above, a bad cook can make the waiter look bad. When businesses want to limit themselves to the “right kind” of customer it usually means they are not flexible enough to deal with the customers they have. Note the number if posters who mention children - who are never as easy as adults. The question waiters and restaurant owners should be asking is what steps can they take to mitigate what they perceive as a difficult time by making it better for the customer. Telling the customer to " be patient" is profoundly foolish. Posting conplaintts on a web site may make you feel better but doesn’t fix anything.

I never understood the American focus on tipping until I discovered that most (all?) waiters/waitresses are exempt from minimum wage legislation, and that it’s assumed that they’ll make a certain amount of money from tips. Is this really the case?

Every restaurant owner I’ve ever worked for was well aware of the type of customer described by many of the people on the site, they were also empathetic to the staff having had their own experiences with the public. Just as every employee was aware that the customer was going to be placated and to all appearances the employee would be thrown under the bus so the customer could feel they came out on top.
I don’t see that anyone was saying they want to limit themselves to the right kind of customer. Nor do I see that in many of the situations described was the customer under-served in any way or that the businesses and servers/employees needed to make it better for the customer. I know you believe that every customer is just a victim of bad service from uncaring people but there are some people that just can’t be pleased no matter how well you treat them and others who will treat those who wait on them contemptuously simply because they can. No tweaks to processes is going to change the person who wants to take out their issues on those that serve them, or change the attitude of those who leave hateful tracts as tips.

I’m curious what other industries are you referring to where the process is the problem, what is your customer service experience when it comes to the general public?

By the way this is not simply a gripe fest put up by disgruntled servers, this is a site put up by a Christian pastor, this is what he had to say about why he started the “campaign”:

The concept for Sundays are the worst came when we heard about a pastor in St. Louis that went with their church group to Applebees and wrote on the receipt, “I give God 10%, why would I give you 18%?” The story went viral.

We knew there was a huge disconnect between the serving community and the church crowd on Sundays. Because there are many servers who attend our church, we began asking ourselves, “What can we do to begin a dialogue with the serving community? How can we let them know that not all Christians are like this?”

That’s where Sundays are the worst was born! We tried to set up a facebook page. Restaurant owners began to tell us about social media policies they had that if a server were to post on it, they could be terminated. So we went back to the drawing board and created www.sundaysaretheworst.com

Our goal is very simple. We want to create conversation. Our hope is that the church crowd will read the thoughts and experiences from the serving community and that it would cause them to re-think their actions and attitudes on Sundays. We also hope that server who have been legitimately hurt by Christians would realize that there is a church that really cares about how they are treated. It bothers us, angers us and saddens us when we read these stories of how some Christians have judged, belittled and mistreated the serving community. We hope they will see that we really do care.

We have chosen to write an apology to each server that posts on our site. We will choose a story a week and give a gift card from Preaching Christ Church. It’s our way of saying, “We get it and we’re sorry for the way Christians have treated you.”

We hope you enjoy our site. Yes, there is alot of negative posts, but we believe there will be some positive things come from this as well and we look forward to hearing and celebrating those stories too!

For the Gospel,
Pastor Chad Roberts

www.experiencepcc.com

Partially, they are not exempt from minimum wage requirements, they just have a different minimum wage structure and part of that structure is tips so yes tips are assumed to cover the minimum wage.

From Wiki

The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate

It turns out Chick-fil-A does a double service to their employees. By not being open on Sunday not only do they allow their staff to have a day of rest and, if they choose, attend Sunday services, but they also prevent them from being subject to the Sunday church crowd.

There could be truth to this claim. But I can’t say I’ve noticed anything particularly bad about Sundays. I’ve heard someone in my family who is not from where I was born, raised, and live make just this claim. I figure they were drawing from experiences they had living in other parts of the country or their negative view of Christianity since I’ve not witnessed it. It could be folks expect better than average behavior from people they assume go to church and don’t see it. That is still a problem, but a better one as at least the folks making the claim know the church is supposed to make people better and there is some agreement on what better means.

I always thought that was bizarre myself.

To your question about industries in which I have customer service experience: residential home building, real estate, and automotive dealerships – just to name a few. The first has a good deal more service involved than people might realize at first glance. I admit, I never worked in a customer-facing capacity in a restaurant (I did dish wash occasionally in high school); and like everyone else I eat in restaurants from time to time. I guess that puts me in the minority, judging from all the ex-waiter posters.

I did once have the opportunity to hear Bob Farrell (google “what’s your pickle?” and see who I am talking about if you don’t know) speak on the topic of customer service (he naturally drew many examples from the restaurant business). I think his approach has colored some of my take on this topic.

Everything I have ever heard suggests that employee satisfaction correlates highly with customer satisfaction (who doubts it?). I have got to believe that your day (as a server) goes a whole lot better when you create happy customers. I do agree that there are some people with problems you cannot solve, and that is a challenge, but I also believe that if you approach them with the right attitude then you may be able to win them over. Service failures are often an opportunity to move a relationship to greater level of trust and confidence if you can demonstrate that when things go wrong, you fix the problem.

You mentioned the web site not being a “gripe fest” - I am looking at this topic from the attitude the waitperson takes when starting their job in the morning: If you go in like Charlie Brown saying “today is Sunday, all the Christian jerks will be there, I’m doomed!”, I think you start to create that bad experience for yourself, rather than if you go in with the attitude “serving people is a noble profession…I’m up to the challenge”, which I think is something like Farrell would say.

It is quite obvious from your ugly assumptions about the employees in the service sector that you haven’t spent any time working in restaurants or retail sales. Why do you assume that these people don’t want to and actually do solve the problem. Why do you assume that they don’t work to create happy customers? Frankly I never worked with people who came in moaning in anticipation of jerky customers, moaning about work in general sure. But they hated their job everyday all the time, I’ve seen the same attitude from warehouse and office workers and customers who told me their own tales of woe from work.

In spite of what you think there are an appreciable number of people who care less about having their problem solved and having trust filled relationship with their clerk/server and more about belittling the lowly. I’ve noticed that these types are pacified when a manager or owner says exactly what the employee said previously including the apology.
I spent the last five years working as a cashier part time in our small local grocery store, and honestly absolutely every single customer who comes in is nice, all the time. If they have had a bad day they tell us about it but they never ever take it out on us. This is a positive feed back loop that all of us participate in but it is very very rare these days. We’ve had young kids come work for us after having worked at restaurants large retail outlets and they marvel at how nice everyone is. We’ve also have kids who come home from college on break or after graduation and talk about how nice it was to work here compared to other places.

Do you know what can always and almost completely help when a customer is being a jerk, sympathy, from co-workers is nice your boss a bit more so, but from other customers who noticed how you were treated that does wonders. I’ve found the worst customers bring out the best in the customers around them. I always try when I’m in any sort of customer situation to express sympathy when I see service personnel being poorly treated. I will also try to diffuse situations, for example if I have an angry and impatient person waiting in line ahead of me I will try to engage them in small talk maybe compliment something about them or their purchase. My objective is to make them smile and maybe even laugh before they get to the clerk.

I worked for a distributor of building supplies, plumbing, heating/AC, cabinetry not to mention a lot of family and friends in the trades so I have a fair idea of the level of customer service in home building and finishing. And while the stakes are much higher for home buyers making it a much bigger deal for them if it isn’t to their liking it doesn’t even begin to compare in the shear volume experienced by service workers. When you serve 100 people a day you are going to run across a couple every week who just don’t want to be pleased and can’t even imagine forming a relationship of trust with any sort of peon.

But of course none of this matters because it is always the moronic clumsy server *****'s fault they just have a bad attitude and don’t care. I’ve been called all of those names not often but it’s never pleasant. The customer who called me a ***** was asked to leave, pleasing both employees and the other patrons. On an odd note about that incident for some reason the owner didn’t let other employees swear around me, specifically me, but he never would let a customer curse out any employee he felt it was uncalled for treatment, disrespectful not only of the employee but also other customers.

Years ago I worked as a waitress in a coffee shop and Sundays come right behind the 2AM bar closing as the worst time to work.

Worst tippers and most demanding customers in my experience:

Christians

Real estate people, brokers and realtors

Teachers

Generally none of the above categories speak well of themselves and the condescension is disgusting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.