Sunday's Mass readings (God's wrath / the House of God..)

Sunday (3-22)

2 Chronicles 36:14-16, 19-23:

In those days, all the… priests, and the people added infidelity to infidelity, practicing all the abominations of the nations and polluting the Lord’s temple which he had consecrated in Jerusalem. Early and often did the Lord, the God of their fathers, send his messengers to them, for he had compassion on his people and his dwelling palace. But they mocked the messengers of God, despised his warnings, and scoffed at his prophets, until the anger of the Lord against his people was so inflamed that there was no remedy. Their enemies burnt the house of God, tore down the walls of Jerusalem, set all its palaces afire, and destroyed all its precious objects. Those who escaped the sword were carried captive to Babylon, where they became servants of the king of the Chaldeans and his sons until the kingdom of the Persians came to poer… The time it lies waste it shall have rest while seventy years are fulfilled.” In the first year of Cyrus, the king of Persia, in order to fulfill the word of the Lord spoken by Jeremiah, the Lord inspired King Cyrus of Persian to issue this proclamation throughout his kingdom, but by word of mouth and in writing: “thus says Cyrus, King of Persia: All the kingdoms of the earth the Lord, the God of Heaven, has given to me, and he has also charged me to build him a house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever, therefore, among you belongs to any part of his people, let him go up, and may his God be with him!”

Ps 137:

Let my tongue be silenced, if I ever forget you!

Ephesians 2:4-10:

Brothers and Sisters: God, who is rich in mercy, because of the great love he had for us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, brought us to lifworks, so no one may boast [yet good works increase grace…]. For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for the good works that God has prepared in advance, that we should live in them.

St. Jn 3:14-21:

Jesus said to Nicodeumus: “Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.” For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him will not be condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the verdict, that the light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light so that his works might not be exposed. But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God.

*It seems a lot of people these days think/believe that God’s wrath is a thing of the past. Yet it occurs to me that His wrath may even be greater now… considering all He did in sending His beloved Son to die on a cross for us and we still (some of us) reject Him. Even those who accept Him *reject *Him when they choose sin over His way… :eek: *

:highprayer:

I find it interesting that every time Psalm 137 is referenced, the three verses are always omitted. Are they less important than the first six? Or is there a little political correctness involved against their imprecatory message?

7 Remember, O LORD, against the sons of Edom
The day of Jerusalem,
Who said, “Raze it, raze it,
To its very foundation!”
8 O daughter of Babylon, who are to be destroyed,
Happy the one who repays you as you have served us!
9 Happy the one who takes and dashes
Your little ones against the rock!

DaveBj

Here is the Readings with pictures and commentary litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Sunday%2C+March+22%2C+2009

I find it interesting that every time Psalm 137 is referenced, the three verses are always omitted. Are they less important than the first six? Or is there a little political correctness involved against their imprecatory message?

No, the Catholic Church is one of the very few in this world who does not let political correctness determine their actions. That is a Responsorial Psalm and is placed in a way to fit the theme of what the Readings are set to. That is why you usually see the Readings and the Psalms with select verses.

It truly is scary to think that the mercy America has been getting from God will eventually turn to wrath if we don’t straighten up. I pray all the time for God’s mercy for this country and that He gently leads this country to repentence and even a revival. I shudder at what might be coming.

i print out the scripture readings and send them to those who cannot attend Mass… I don’t have time to put the whole Psalm reading there… so when i transfer the readings from disc to this forum, its just that first line…

sorry, but i barely have time, it seems, to do that… :whacky:

I wasn’t referring to what you did, Distracted (which I think is fine in and of itself). I was referring to the fact that the verses talking about bloody revenge were omitted in the readings themselves.

Here’s another Psalm that shows up frequently in the Liturgy of the Hours:

Ps 110

The LORD said to my Lord,“Sit at My right hand,Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.” 2 The LORD shall send the rod of Your strength out of Zion.Rule in the midst of Your enemies!
3 Your people shall be volunteers In the day of Your power;In the beauties of holiness, from the womb of the morning,You have the dew of Your youth.
4 The LORD has sworn And will not relent,“You are a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek.”
5 The Lord is at Your right hand;He shall execute kings in the day of His wrath.
6 He shall judge among the nations,He shall fill the places with dead bodies,He shall execute the heads of many countries.
7 He shall drink of the brook by the wayside;Therefore He shall lift up the head.
NKJV

I find it interesting that the bolded verse is always missing.

DaveBj

hmmm… have to say i don’t recall ever reading those words… i’m going to look it up in the Douay Rheims…

but i do know that a lot of christians omit certain “unpleasant” passages… I know this one guy who will argue to the end that my Catholic beliefs are un-true… (tho he would NEVER say that… in actual words… would sound too “intolerant” :rolleyes:)… but he never seems to have a valid argument against them… just rejects them, i think, because they contradict what he’s always been taught… amazing how the mind can slam shut when unpleasant truths present themselves…

i don’t feel one needs to pray for mercy… If anything, it seems God has “too much mercy” on some… pepole… some areas of the country/world… big cities where there is much blood shed (abortion…etc)…

anyway… there is a psg in the bible about ‘storing up wrath for the day of wrath’…

i guess that’s what’s happening… people are storing up wrath for the day of wrath… and God is delaying the Day because … well, for some odd reason, He loves us… :smiley:

Well, I understand what you are saying, but I do pray that God gives our country more time to repent before He allows us to fall because of our own sins because a lot of saints will suffer the fall as well. I also long for more time so that sinners will have more time to repent and go to Heaven. But in the end of my prayers I prayer “Your will be done.”

Good comment. And I believe that one of the entities that’s getting "too much mercy is the Church itself.

I used to hear it said that if God doesn’t punish America, soon He’s going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah. I have modified that to say that if He doesn’t start house-cleaning in the Catholic Church, soon He’s going to have to apologize to Ananias and Sapphira.

But…after all, He is the Boss. He knows what He is doing.

DaveBj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.