Sundays

What do you do to set Sunday apart from other days (besides going to Mass)? Looking for good ideas to make Sundays more special and holy...

I avoid shopping. I also try to turn off the computer (like I'm doing now...:blush:). I try to phone someone that I haven't spoken to in a while.

My boys think it's great that they have no chores on Sunday. ;)

Make a family tradition to go somewhere for breakfast with your family after Mass, or cook a nice lunch and sit down with your family and eat. It's a good day to focus on your family! :)

For me I started with no t.v for at least 2 hours after Mass and now I don't put on the television until well into the evening.

[quote="lovemyboys, post:1, topic:209036"]
What do you do to set Sunday apart from other days (besides going to Mass)? Looking for good ideas to make Sundays more special and holy...

[/quote]

I just started this lately because I realized how badly I was not keeping the Sabbath. I don't shop unless I need gas ect... or do any chores at all, I do nothing work related either. I pray a little more than usual and watch EWTN a little and try to do something fun. Today I went to mass then went to my parents graves and trim it up a little and visited, then I went to a friends and visited some then I went to my brothers and visited his family, came home and made a real nice dinner. I'm starting to look forward to Sundays more :thumbsup:

Good ideas!! Thanks!!

I recently read about how Orthodox Jewish people keep the Sabbath. I really like the part about how they do no cooking-- they plan ahead so they don’t have to. As a mom who spends most of her day in the kitchen, this is really appealing to me.

[quote="lovemyboys, post:7, topic:209036"]
Good ideas!! Thanks!!

I recently read about how Orthodox Jewish people keep the Sabbath. I really like the part about how they do no cooking-- they plan ahead so they don't have to. As a mom who spends most of her day in the kitchen, this is really appealing to me.

[/quote]

How do they keep the Sabbath (apart from the no cooking) if you don't mind sharing?

[/quote]

My wife are starting by simply trying to observe the commandment more fully. We're certainly starting with no shopping, and we're giong to progress down that path. I think my ultimate ideal is to keep Sundays stricktly for Church, family time, prayer time, reading the scriptures time.

For us, it's simply a "Family Day"... we concentrate on enjoying time TOGETHER as a family.

I think for some families this can play out by not cooking, not shopping... or whathaveyou...
For us it usually means doing some fun family activity... we have annual passes to Disney and enjoy spending Sunday afternoons out at the parks... fun times just to ENJOY the gift of our family. :)

[quote="kelvinf, post:8, topic:209036"]
How do they keep the Sabbath (apart from the no cooking) if you don't mind sharing?

[/quote]

They do not do work of any kind. No mowing the grass, no doing the dishes. They don't drive cars and will only ride in taxis if it's an absolute emergency (they need to get to the hospital, etc). They don't cook or use any electrical appliances including lights, though lights turned on Friday afternoon may be left on until Saturday night if necessary. They also do not touch or think of money.

Instead, they spend time reading the Torah and bonding as a family. It is considered a mitzvah (a huge blessing) for husband and wife to have sex on the sabbath. And, of course, they go to services in the temple Friday night and Saturday morning.

They also usually have big family dinner complete with lots of praise and thanksgiving for God on Friday nights.

Other interesting things - every temple I've ever been in has signs on the electric hand dryers saying they are not to be used on the Sabbath. Also, at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, an Orthodox Jewish institution, the elevators are programmed to stop at every floor on Saturdays so that they don't have to press the buttons, which is technically work.

[quote="meltoine, post:11, topic:209036"]
They do not do work of any kind. No mowing the grass, no doing the dishes. They don't drive cars and will only ride in taxis if it's an absolute emergency (they need to get to the hospital, etc). They don't cook or use any electrical appliances including lights, though lights turned on Friday afternoon may be left on until Saturday night if necessary. They also do not touch or think of money.

Instead, they spend time reading the Torah and bonding as a family. It is considered a mitzvah (a huge blessing) for husband and wife to have sex on the sabbath. And, of course, they go to services in the temple Friday night and Saturday morning.

They also usually have big family dinner complete with lots of praise and thanksgiving for God on Friday nights.

Other interesting things - every temple I've ever been in has signs on the electric hand dryers saying they are not to be used on the Sabbath. Also, at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, an Orthodox Jewish institution, the elevators are programmed to stop at every floor on Saturdays so that they don't have to press the buttons, which is technically work.

[/quote]

Whoa!!!:eek:

[quote="meltoine, post:11, topic:209036"]

[/quote]

Whoa!!!

[/quote]

Pretty cool thing to do. :) For my family, we do no yard work or any big jobs outside, and no real chores indoors. We play card/board games, and watch movies in the evening.

Growing up my family was big on Sunday Night Dinner. Always Pasta. Huge amounts. We always seemed to have guests. Like a mini holiday.

We focus on family time... DH's work schedule can make all of this difficult... so each week is different.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.