sundays

trying not to be scrupulous on this issue

what should or should not we be doing on sundays? the catechism is frustratingly vague on this issue.

on the one hand, it says it is a day of rest and leisure but it does not say that’s necessarily a sin to work because some people have to. but it says we shouln’t do activities that cause people to have to work. then it says that sports and restaurants are traditional activities but people have to work for those to happen. most leisure things to do these days require someone to have to work in some capacity. i.e. shopping, movies, going to the zoo, ETC…

i know the lord’s day and the sabbath are not the same thing but where do we draw the line? and why is there a distinction with sports and restaurants and things like that? i’m sorry, i’m just not really understanding

You should avoid doing work that isn’t necessary. What that means will be different to different people. Is it necessary to do the dishes, clean the house, mow the lawn? That depends on you. IS it even “work” to mow the lawn? That depends as well. I used to mow the lawn because I found it relaxing and a good way to talk to God while I did something relaxing. (That was back when I was single and didn’t have a wife and children to spend my Sunday with.)

A restaurant or mall or sporting event is not going to open or close based on what “angell1” does. They’ll be open regardless. So, you aren’t causing someone to work if you enjoy those things on a Sunday. Now, if you tell an employee of yours that you want them to come in on Sunday to earn an extra profit for you…THAT is causing someone to work on a Sunday. See the difference?

All Catechisms aside, we should be praising God and giving thanks to him on Sundays. Also on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

It is traditional to meet on Sundays as the Lord’s Day to hear the Word preached and to celebrate the Eucharist. As for Old Testament sabbatanarian restrictions, “Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days.” Colossians 2:16.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.