Sunshine states are the happiest, study shows - Louisiana, Hawaii and Florida home to the happiest Americans

The state-by-state list, from happiest to least cheery:
1. Louisiana
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. Tennessee
5. Arizona
6. South Carolina
7. Mississippi
8. Montana
9. Alabama
10. Maine
11. Wyoming
12. Alaska
13. North Carolina
14. South Dakota
15. Texas
16. Idaho
17. Vermont
18. Arkansas
19. Georgia
20. Utah
21. Oklahoma
22. Delaware
23. Colorado
24. New Mexico
25. North Dakota
26. Minnesota
27. Virginia
28. New Hampshire
29. Wisconsin
30. Oregon
31. Iowa
32. Kansas
33. Nebraska
34. West Virginia
35. Kentucky
36. Washington
37. District of Columbia
38. Missouri
39. Nevada
40. Maryland
41. Pennsylvania
42. Rhode Island
43. Ohio
44. Massachusetts
45. Illinois
46. California
47. New Jersey
48. Indiana
49. Michigan
50. Connecticut
51. New York

Read more: msnbc.msn.com/id/34469042/ns/health-behavior/

We still want to move to New York!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[quote="lemonbeam, post:1, topic:180093"]
The state-by-state list, from happiest to least cheery:
46. California

[/quote]

So why is California #46?

OK, Hawaii has warmer water year-round and better waves. Florida might have warmer water, but I think you’ll find more Florida surfers in California than California surfers in Florida. I also prefer dry heat and sparse mosquitoes to humid heat and swarms. Then there’s Yosemite and Big Sur.

Florida, the 3rd happiest state?
:rotfl: Yeah right

[quote="miguel, post:2, topic:180093"]
So why is California #46?

[/quote]

That's what I noticed...and Oregon #30 and Washington #36 have less sun than many below them on the list...and most of Colorado #23 has 300+ days of sunshine - does Louisiana?

[quote="rlg94086, post:5, topic:180093"]
That's what I noticed...and Oregon #30 and Washington #36 have less sun than many below them on the list...and most of Colorado #23 has 300+ days of sunshine - does Louisiana?

[/quote]

I would think Lousiana's pretty sunny, and anyone I've ever met from there seems pretty happy. They love their swamps and their fishing. And the food's great. But I don't get how it beats Hawaii or California weatherwise. And alot of those sunny Colorado days are pretty chilly. Of course Colorado has some serious skiing.

[quote="miguel, post:6, topic:180093"]
I would think Lousiana's pretty sunny, and anyone I've ever met from there seems pretty happy. They love their swamps and their fishing. And the food's great. But I don't get how it beats Hawaii or California weatherwise. And alot of those sunny Colorado days are pretty chilly. Of course Colorado has some serious skiing.

[/quote]

Yes, but it's a dry cold. :D

Seriously though, my point is that it isn't all about the weather. I've lived in California (born and raised there - SF Bay Area (South Bay), Monterey and Sherman Oaks), Colorado (Denver) and Oregon/Washington (Portland Metro). I prefer Oregon/Washington or Colorado to California hands down. If you go through the pros and cons, the only pro that California has for itself is the weather IMO. :shrug: I think that's why it ranks so low on the list. Sunshine has little to do with it....

From 41-51 i do believe those states are heavily liberal controlled states. It has nothing to do with the sun. California is on the bottom not because it has less sunshine then Washington or Oregon. They are on the bottom because everyone hates living there. Look at the politics and you will understand why Cali and NY are 50-51.

I thought Lousianna is not a great place to live because of Katrina? Hawaii is number 1.

I think it ranks low on the list because of the high cost of living like the article said. And the traffic is horrible. And it’s dominated by liberals, like the other states at the bottom of the list. As for Colorado? No question it’s a beautiful state. And all it’s pluses (including Bishop Chaput, Red Rocks, and Copper Mountain) don’t compensate for the lack of waves or the lack of Yosemite. I know I’m being a little hyperbolic.

Yosemite (bicycled from San Jose to Yosemite twice and visited by car many a time) and the waves (couple times/year as an adult) are fantastic, but, as I told my wife when we moved to Colorado, we only went to either of those once or twice a year…we still did that while living in Colorado. :slight_smile:

Now, if I could afford to live/work in Santa Cruz or Monterey (and put up with the liberals), I would do it! :thumbsup:

Where we live now, we don’t have the same waves or Yosemite, but we have a lot more daily beauty than we ever had living in California…Mt. Hood, the Columbia River, change of color during Fall - but still green year round (the deciduous trees are mixed in w/evergreens), etc., and we can afford to live here. The beaches, while much colder, are only a little further away (45min-1hr) and beautiful. So, I’ll see your hyperbole and raise it with hyper-hyperbole. :smiley:

[quote="onmywayagain, post:8, topic:180093"]
From 41-51 i do believe those states are heavily liberal controlled states. It has nothing to do with the sun. California is on the bottom not because it has less sunshine then Washington or Oregon. They are on the bottom because everyone hates living there. Look at the politics and you will understand why Cali and NY are 50-51.

I thought Lousianna is not a great place to live because of Katrina? Hawaii is number 1.

[/quote]

I'm actually surprised Hawaii made it as high on the list. It is beautiful and has a great pace (Hawaiian time! :p ), but it is very expensive to live there, has a real drug problem, etc. I know when we looked into moving there in my young adulthood (I worked for hotels in Monterey and figured Hawaii is perfect for that business), I was dissuaded from moving there by multiple Hawaiians in the industry who said it wasn't a great place to raise a family.

Santa Cruz has great waves…never surfed it though…furthest north I got was Moss Landing…hollowest waves I ever saw in California. I’ve never been to your neck of the woods and I’m sure it’s absolutely gorgeous. And I can only imagine what you mean by daily beauty. But don’t they have killer whales up there? And I’m sure the water isn’t much above freezing.

[quote="miguel, post:12, topic:180093"]
Santa Cruz has great waves...never surfed it though...furthest north I got was Moss Landing...hollowest waves I ever saw in California. I've never been to your neck of the woods and I'm sure it's absolutely gorgeous. And I can only imagine what you mean by daily beauty. But don't they have killer whales up there? And I'm sure the water is barely above freezing.

[/quote]

I haven't seen any killer whales when at the beach, but I also don't swim here...wading is about all I've done. I don't know if the water is much colder than the water in Northern California...the East Coast has California beat if you are looking at that...Hawaii even more so, of course. That is, unless you are a diver - cold water = more sea life, and I understand from divers that Monterey Bay is one of the best areas.

Santa Cruz is part of the Red Triangle and has more great white sharks than the Pacific Northwest. :eek: I would worry more about that than killer whales, especially if one of those sea otters or seals is swimming around near you. :p

Yeah, I’m one who prefers white shark-free and killer whale-free zones.

Zuma?

Misery is alive and well in my home state of Michigan I see. :D

[quote="rlg94086, post:15, topic:180093"]
Zuma?

[/quote]

HB and south.

[quote="miguel, post:17, topic:180093"]
HB and south.

[/quote]

Ah...nice memories of HB....

Well, it depends on when they polled. The Red Wings are doing slightly better now, even though they’re still suffering this year. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m hoping for complete Red Wing misery come playoff time. :smiley:

From what I have learned from those who grew up in Hawaii, it is not a great place. The public schools are horrible. Ice (a horrible form of meth) is rampant. Plus, there are many racial problems. Of course, the problems are towards whites, so it isn’t really a problem to most people. Then there is the lack of motivation. One friend’s mom was a college professor. Students would honestly tell her that they skipped class because the waves were good. Doesn’t sound like a great place to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.