Super Bowl Pre-Emptions

Has anyone else had a mass or other church function re-scheduled or dropped because of the Super Bowl? Our RCIA neophytes’ meeting for next week has been pre-empted due to this idiocy.

About 15 years ago, I told my wife that we would some day see the Monday after the Super Bowl turned into a national holiday and that this would be the first national holiday to be based on the hangovers incurred from caloric and alcoholic excess. Here we are in the first step toward that process, blocking God and making a path for the 21st century version of bread and circuses.

I have never heard of masses being rescheduled for secular sports activities…no, that would be a little strange, in my eyes. I would like to state though that if we were to see the Monday after SB weekend declared a national holiday–it could be possibly due to the travel that many do to see these games. I don’t think excess drinking is automatically linked to watching a game–my husband and I don’t get drunk watching the game, but being that it’s on in the evening, and people are traveling to see it–that could account for a lot of personal days taken on the Monday following the SB. Just something to think about. :slight_smile:

Never heard of Mass being changed, but we never have confirmation class on superbowl sunday because no one would show up. I don’t have a problem with that, though, because it is part of the schedule developed at the start of the year and therefore we don’t actually lose any class time.

Peace

Tim

The stadium holds, what, about 30,000 fans? Maybe 50,000? Out of how many people in the U.S. who can’t travel to the game? I can’t see that as a rational excuse for making it a national holiday!

Professional sports have become the national religion. So sad.

I said it could be possible…. I don’t treat it as such–I was merely giving a possible reason for why so many people miss the day after work. What does it matter if someone takes a personal day after the SB weekend? People take personal days for all types of things…I don’t think it should be a national holiday…but if it were to become one, that was a potential reason I listed.

People don’t only travel to attend the games…if you follow sports, of any kind…many people travel to their home states, etc…many hotels are booked, etc…professional sports actually brings a lot of revenue for a lot of cities–I am not a sports fanatic, but it does help the economy. If you’re a die hard Patriots fan, for example, I could see a lot of New Englanders traveling home this weekend to be with their families, friends, etc in their hometown…I used to park adjacent to a hotel in PA, and during the Steelers time in the SB, there were many hotels packed with people who came in to just see family, because ‘their hometown team’ was playing. Not saying it should ever be declared a holiday–but it’s largely why many people take the next day off…they are traveling, etc…I’m not saying hang overs don’t account for any of it, but is it really necessary to have a day off to celebrate a NEW YEAR? HAHA I’ll take the day, thank you–but is it necessary to get plastered as we kiss another year goodbye? I don’t see why we get that day off (New Year’s day), personally. Probably because people are hung over from the big bashes they attended the night before–so same reasoning, different cause in our society. Having the day after a SB off, wouldn’t be that far fetched when you stop to think about the days off we get that are not religiously affiliated.

By the time the Super Bowl ends on the East Coast, it’s almost 10pm! Perhaps that is too far past people’s bedtimes to get up and be productive at work the next morning. :wink:

That could be. I’m not the expert on this…hahaha I’m just taking stabs at what it might be.:smiley: :shrug:

I think that you brought up some good points. I wouldn’t have thought of the people traveling back home to visit family where the teams are from. That makes a lot of sense. Certainly there are probably a lot of people calling in sick because of overcomsumption, but it’s not the only reason people take that day off.

What will people do this year with “Super Sunday” so close to “Fat Tuesday” (aka Mardi Gras)? Some people may be taking all of next week off! :wink:

I understand your point, but I, for one, am going to be at home watching the game, and will go to an earlier mass. (We usually go in the morning anyway.) What’s the point of the local parish celebrating a mass for an empty church? I’m sure there will be a few people, but if there are a half dozen other masses that people can attend, and the one during the game has been extremely low-attended in the past, why force it? It’s not as if they are cancelling all masses for the day, are they? That would be a huge problem.

Some of us really enjoy the superbowl. We don’t consider ourselves ‘idiots’ and some of us even manage not to incur hangovers from food and booze.

I dread to think of what you have to say about Nascar:eek:

Years ago, I remember reading one of those little stories in Reader’s Digest where a bride and groom had set the wedding date a year off, not knowing that their hometown Green Bay Packers would be playing in the SuperBowl that day. The story said that the guests sat out in their cars, glued to the radio, until one minute before the wedding started, the attendants were clustered around a portable TV in the vestibule and even the minister ran in at the last minute and gave the fastest wedding ceremony anyone had ever seen. They said they always celebrated their wedding anniversary on SuperBowl Sunday instead of the actual date.

This is why I got married in JULY :shrug: . A friend of ours married in November (to a Cowboys fan) and they had their honeymoon in Dallas. My husband was a much wiser man.

oh my gosh–can you imagine being that bride? :eek: :o

I just hope to Heaven the wedding colors weren’t green and gold!:smiley:

:rotfl: LOL!

I apologize for not be as clear as I could have been. The point I was trying to make in my original post is this:

Our society has made a fetish of sports and entertainment of all kinds. Sports and entertainment have become the measuring standard of our nation. If an athlete or movie star does it, it must be okay. If these people speak or act, attention automatically is riveted upon them. In trying to get my nephew to understand the first commandment, I tell him an example of having other gods before God is like saying a football game is more important than mass. And this is what people do; they find ways to justify spending time with their idols before they find time to spend with God. My sixth-grade religious education students would miss mass for soccer games. This is the fault of their parents who, knowingtly or not, have sent the message that soccer is more important than God.

That is the point I meant to make.

Wow. I thought I was a football fan. That is hilarious.

Your point is well stated! :slight_smile: (sorry we went off course!):blush:

And that is a very good point! It is strange to reschedule Mass for a sporting event, but I can understand bumping another meeting or class. Their intention is probably not to give more importance to sports than to God, but rather, they are accepting the fact that, if they do schedule something at the same time as the Super Bowl, no one will come.

I think one could argue that they shouldn’t accept such behavior as inevitable as it only encourages parishioners to continue such behavior.

I don’t know if we’ll find a solution to dealing with the sports religion here. Perhaps in the Evangelization forum, we can discuss how to convert people away from this religion. :wink:

our youth group always has a pancake breakfast on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday. But we also collect money for the Souper Bowl of Caring. So we decided to preempt the pancake breakfast and just do the Souper Bowl of Caring Collection for the hungry and poor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.