Superbowl Sin Alert!

Last year, to sit through an entire Superbowl and half-time show was very difficult for me…think I will sit this one out (I can read about the half time show instead of endure it or have to turn it off).

It is kind of a shame that a person has to pick and choose sporting events so as to avoid the occasion for sin.

I guess you could say my response to the T.V. networks is a bit late…better late than never maybe.

Hmmmmmmmmmm…what if a bunch of us Catholics refused to watch it…?

The commercials were more offensive than Janet Jacksons mishap… I dont condone it…but I found it funny how everyone complained about that then some of the ads…offensive was that nasty actress from Desparate Housewives dropping towel in front of the football player… I like my sex and violence to be kept separate. :stuck_out_tongue:

Since I have no TV, I will be listening to the game on the radio (unless I sleep through it, which happened last year so I only heard about the “wardrobe malfunction” after the game).:smiley:

The half time entertainment is Paul McCartney

This years half-time show will be Paul McCartney. I watched his press conference and he said that he will not have any"wardrobe-malfunction" in his performance. Alicia Keyes will be performing the Ray Charles version of America with students from The Florida School of The Deaf and Blind from St. Augustine (where Ray Charles attended). I understand there will also be a salute to The Military too. It should be much different than last years fiasco. I don’t have a clue about the Commercials but I heard something about a commercial being pulled having to do with a Priest, an Automobile and Lust (I think it was a superbowl commercial but I’m not sure). I don’t have a ticket to the game but I will be watching this year because it is in my hometown. Jacksonville has gone all out for the Superbowl, it’s an exciting time to be here and a great place to visit if you have never been! The weather has been cool but a few weeks ago we had 80’s and next week of course it will be in the mid 70’s. No snow to shovel though!

[quote=Faithful 2 Rome]The commercials were more offensive than Janet Jacksons mishap… I dont condone it…but I found it funny how everyone complained about that then some of the ads…offensive was that nasty actress from Desparate Housewives dropping towel in front of the football player… I like my sex and violence to be kept separate. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

I agree; I find many of the commercials offensive, inappropiate, or simply not funny. And it generally takes a lot to offend me!

Have you heard that it was supposed to be John Madden instead of TO in the Desparate Housewives teaser, and Madden was supposed to be the one to drop the towel? Just when you thought the spot couldn’t have gotten worse!

Good luck getting Catholics in Boston to turn off the game. Just like the World Series, I’ll be watching.

DYNASTY HERE WE COME!!!

[quote=lizziebeth730]Good luck getting Catholics in Boston to turn off the game. Just like the World Series, I’ll be watching.

DYNASTY HERE WE COME!!!
[/quote]

[quote=Annunciata]http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/words/arg-dancin-wo0hoo-url.gif
[/quote]

Well there was one Big looser from Boston this year!

John Kerry.:smiley:

I don’t buy into the superbowl being a sin…I can’t wait to watch it. If you dont’ like it…don’t watch it. I think the commercials are humerous as they are intended to be…the halftime show will be tasteful unlike last year’s show…it is going to be a great game. I am a Colts fan, but since they aren’t in it this year…I am pulling for the Eagles…Go Eagles!!!

[quote=Maccabees]Well there was one Big looser from Boston this year!

John Kerry.:smiley:
[/quote]

THANKS BE TO GOD!!!
http://toons.artie.com/alphabet/words/arg-dancin-wo0hoo-url.gif

I pulling for New England this year… :thumbsup:

[quote=aimee]I pulling for New England this year… :thumbsup:
[/quote]

My point, though not presented very well, was that the superbowl reprsents the epidimy of what the tv networks can or are willing to try to get away with (not in the positive sense).

We have somehow developed a mantality that if it is “just” sports it must be okay. My contention is that evil has found its way into tv sports just as it has in other venues.

For example: Here’s to all the t. and a. the cheerleaders show…mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmI thought womens lib was tryinig to minimize viewing women as mere sex objects.

Here’s to all the commercials that definitly push the moral line with innuendo and outright glorification of sin.

Here’s to Janet J and her "wardrobe malfuncition…can’t really believe anybody bought that one.

And here is to last years halftime show in general…a “spanking” for all that watched it.

Annnnnnnnnd here’s to all that are ready to jump right back in that frying pan…“eyes closed” so to speak.

Not just complaining about football…other sports too…debacles of sex and violelnce…what comes next… uh…uh…uh…I know…I know…we sacrifice a virgin at halftime…

Now I’m not mister perfect…just a sinner …so don’t shoot me…shoot my message instead.

I’m not a big football fan, so I’m planning to go to Church late today around 5:00 PM because everyone else is going to watch the game.

A sign of the times or what? A bit off topic, but many Catholic Masses were postponed/set to a differant time in Brazil in 2002 because Brazil was playing Germany in the World Cup final on a Sunday in Asia. I believe in Japan, but it could have been South Korea since the two nations were co-hosts.

I won’t watch one minute of it.
I’m going outside to enjoy the great outdoors, be with my husband and my horses.
I couldn’t care less about the dumb superbowl… over-rated, boring, hyped-up, Hollywood show disguised as a sport. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Lucania]I don’t have a clue about the Commercials but I heard something about a commercial being pulled having to do with a Priest, an Automobile and Lust (I think it was a superbowl commercial but I’m not sure).
[/quote]

That ad was pulled by Ford. Sure made the news though… even so. I saw it on an interview done on NBC’s TODAY show where it was discussed.

I think the ad is at least in poor taste… to use a member of the clergy to promote sales is totally NOT cool!

"What Were They Thinking?!"
theautochannel.com/N/F/news/2005/02/02/021359.html?%7BLF%7D&

just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=47047

Here’s a part of the Associated Press article about it that is posted at a page at Adelphia

adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=11691624&ps=1005&cat=&cps=0

Ford Pulls Lustful Super Bowl Car Ad
Thursday, February 3, 2005 1:30 PM EST
The Associated Press
By DAVID BAUDER

Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday yanked a planned Super Bowl advertisement that depicts a clergyman tempted by a new pickup truck after some victims of clergy sex abuse complained it made light of their trauma.

The company wants to keep the focus on its new truck model rather than any controversy, said Sara Tatchio, spokeswoman for Ford’s Lincoln division.

The ad shows a set of car keys placed on a collection plate. The clergyman finds a new Lincoln Mark LT truck in the parking lot, and lovingly caresses the exterior.

The car’s owner then enters the picture, with his little girl poking her head from behind him _ the implication being she had dropped the keys in the plate. The clergyman hands over the keys, then is depicted adding the letters L-T to a message board advertisting an upcoming sermon, to spell lust.

The Chicago-based Survivors Networks of those Abused by Priests believed the little girl’s presence in the ad with the clergyman and word “lust” had sexual overtones and that Lincoln was playing off the news of religious sex scandals to sell cars.

The survivors’ group urged Ford to pull the ad and, within hours of their complaint, the company obliged.

“We’re grateful for their prompt response,” said Barbara Blaine, SNAP’s president. “It shows their compassion and I think will spare lots of people a great deal of pain.”

**Tatchio said Lincoln had conducted consumer testing of the ad and had no trouble. The company also made certain the clergyman depicted could not be confused for a Catholic priest. **

Before Ford made the decision not to run the ad, Tatchio suggested that because of their experiences, the critics were seeing things in the ad that weren’t there.

“While we think it was a very unfortunate misunderstanding and were frankly surprised by the reaction of this one group, in the end” Ford decided it was more important to keep the focus on the truck, she said.

Lincoln hasn’t decided whether the ad will run elsewhere. It wasn’t cheap to produce: the company hired “The Cell” director Tarsem Singh to make the ad. Singer Cassandra Wilson and well-known producer Don Was recorded a version of the Billie Holiday song “Guilty” specifically for the background music.

It’s also unclear whether Ford will use the space it reserved on the Super Bowl telecast for another ad, or seek a refund. Fox has been charging $2.4 million for 30-second ads on Sunday’s Super Bowl telecast.

The ad was to launch an entire advertising campaign for the Mark LT, which will be available in Lincoln showrooms later this month.

[quote=Lucania]I don’t have a clue about the Commercials but I heard something about a commercial being pulled having to do with a Priest, an Automobile and Lust (I think it was a superbowl commercial but I’m not sure).
[/quote]

That ad was pulled by Ford. Sure made the news though… even so. I saw it on an interview done on NBC’s TODAY show where it was discussed.

I think the ad is at least in poor taste… to use a member of the clergy to promote sales is totally NOT cool!

just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=47047

Here’s a part of the Associated Press article about it that is posted at a page at Adelphia

The Associated Press
By DAVID BAUDER

Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday yanked a planned Super Bowl advertisement that depicts a clergyman tempted by a new pickup truck after some victims of clergy sex abuse complained it made light of their trauma.

The company wants to keep the focus on its new truck model rather than any controversy, said Sara Tatchio, spokeswoman for Ford’s Lincoln division.

The ad shows a set of car keys placed on a collection plate. The clergyman finds a new Lincoln Mark LT truck in the parking lot, and lovingly caresses the exterior.

The car’s owner then enters the picture, with his little girl poking her head from behind him _ the implication being she had dropped the keys in the plate. The clergyman hands over the keys, then is depicted adding the letters L-T to a message board advertisting an upcoming sermon, to spell lust.

The Chicago-based Survivors Networks of those Abused by Priests believed the little girl’s presence in the ad with the clergyman and word “lust” had sexual overtones and that Lincoln was playing off the news of religious sex scandals to sell cars.

The survivors’ group urged Ford to pull the ad and, within hours of their complaint, the company obliged.

[/quote]

The Associated Press
By DAVID BAUDER

“We’re grateful for their prompt response,” said Barbara Blaine, SNAP’s president. “It shows their compassion and I think will spare lots of people a great deal of pain.”

**Tatchio said Lincoln had conducted consumer testing of the ad and had no trouble. The company also made certain the clergyman depicted could not be confused for a Catholic priest. **

Before Ford made the decision not to run the ad, Tatchio suggested that because of their experiences, the critics were seeing things in the ad that weren’t there.

“While we think it was a very unfortunate misunderstanding and were frankly surprised by the reaction of this one group, in the end” Ford decided it was more important to keep the focus on the truck, she said.

Lincoln hasn’t decided whether the ad will run elsewhere. It wasn’t cheap to produce: the company hired “The Cell” director Tarsem Singh to make the ad. Singer Cassandra Wilson and well-known producer Don Was recorded a version of the Billie Holiday song “Guilty” specifically for the background music.

[quote=Lucania] I don’t have a clue about the Commercials but I heard something about a commercial being pulled having to do with a Priest, an Automobile and Lust (I think it was a superbowl commercial but I’m not sure)
[/quote]

The Associated Press
By DAVID BAUDER

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.