Superstitions that Christianity domonated them

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]Would you please tell me some samples from superstitions that Christianity domonated them?

Well, off the top of my head, I can think of Christmas trees. The evergreen tree was seen by pagan cultures as a symbol of eternal life (since evergreens don’t “die” in the winter like deciduous trees).

If you walk into someone’s home in late December and see a decorated fir tree, you will not think that this person was a pagan druid. It would never cross your mind. So Christianity conquered this pagan symbol, giving it a Christian symbolism. The symbolism is of the same type (eternal life) but with a different object (Jesus Christ).

Most likely the wedding ring is one of them.

Wedding rings are of pagan (Egyptian) origin, but I think Christians would claim too much credit if we say we dominated them. Lots of religions and cultures have wedding rings.

But Christians have cornered the market on fir trees in December - we OWN that!

But wedd8ng ring is not dominated.

???

Is this your attempt at a bump?

I answered your question.

Nope. I mean I,m looking for more samples.

Why? What would ten examples show that one clear example does not?

One clear example proves the point.

Did you mean dominated?

I need more examples for my research.

That’s a very strange thing to say. What sort of “research” is this?

Is this “research” that relies on some sort of preponderance of evidence? Because that’s really shoddy “research.”

How many examples do you need? Do you need two? Four? Seven? Ten? A hundred? Can you give us a number?

If your answer is, “well, more is better” then you are not doing research. You need to re-think your entire approach.

I’ve given you one irrefutable example. That should be enough. Suppose the example I gave is the ONLY such example. Does that prove (or disprove) anything? If you think it does (or does not) then you are not doing research. You’re just compiling anecdotes (a pointless exercise).

What would two (or a hundred) examples prove that a single example does not prove?

It is some think like:Christian battle against Superstitions. If I wrote it true(my language is not English)

A better way of putting it would be: “What superstitions has Christianity adapted to its own use?” Dominated means overpowering, which is not the same thing as adapting. :slight_smile:

Along with the fir tree as a symbol of eternal life, Christianity has many symbols/customs/traditions in common with other religions because human beings express themselves in pretty much the same way–because we are all the same species not because we share theology/beliefs. Superstition is one person’s belief while another person might view that belief as invalid, and therefore superstitious.

Christianity shares using prayer beads, robes, candles, incense, sacrifice (although ours is not a bloody one), public places of worship, altars, flowers, use of natural elements such as water, oil, fire, and the list could go on. Using such things in not, in and of itself superstitious. Rather, it depends on how it is used and why.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.