Supervisor threatens to hang worker for drinking from "white people" water fountain

cnn.com/2014/06/05/us/memphis-supervisor-racist-audio?sr=fb060514mudslide1130avodtoplink

As we see here, racism is alive and well, even in the 21st. c. US.

Hopefully, this supervisor receives some repercussions for his actions.

Of course it is alive. There are more examples of this, from all races I encounter. This is one is a bit out there, and not really the norm. This cat should be canned immediately.

I can turn on the TV or walk down the street in predominantly white neighborhoods and black neighborhoods and see examples of racism. Doesn’t mean it is on the forefront of people’s minds, but it is there, and always will be.

This example is more fringe to be truthful.

God bless those two men for standing up against such blatant racism.

The supervisor was fired after an investigation of the incident. :thumbsup:

Racism doesn’t have to always be with us.

Parents pass racism on to their children. If parents teach their children to love thy neighbor no matter their appearance then racism would cease.

Doesn’t look like it is very alive and well based on this story Man makes racist comments and is fired. Shows how much progress we have made in the last 60 years

THis gut is a bit touched if you ask me. He lost his job and rightly so! Now they need to be careful of this guy and watch him… :thumbsup:

I agree that this example is fringe. As the company owner said, its crazy that anyone would talk like that in this era. I suspect the fired supervisor is suffering from a mental imbalance.

As for racism always being with us, I don’t know. Cultures change, and US culture has definitely changed during the past 50 years. Although we have a ways to go, progress on curbing racist behavior has been made. Perhaps the same can be said for racist attitudes.

But yes, racism is still with us.

Racism is more than insults, of course. It is racist to vote for a man because he is black. It is racist to vote against a man because he is black.

Racism has come a long way, but I suspect in even small doses, it will manifest itself for time immemorial, as will most sin.

Let me ask you, do you feel race relations are better now or before the current president’s administration took office?

Frankly I think it is worse.:frowning:

The question is not meant for ringil, but for anyone who cares to comment.

From the article:

In the audio, the supervisor expresses support for the Jim Crow era between the 1880s and 1960s, when racial segregation and discrimination were enforced in various states.
“Back then, nobody thought anything about it,” the supervisor says in the audio. “Now, everybody is made to … think it’s bad.”

Aaahhh, yeah, today everyone is made to think it’s bad because it is bad.

In a dim ray of hope, the owner of the company where all of this allegedly occurred went on record as saying saying that he thinks it’s crazy to say stuff like this nowadays.

Obama has nothing to do with the OP.

Discrimination or suspicion of the “outsider” will always be there; it comes from the pack instinct of our animal ancestry.

But it can be eliminated in its American sense of racial persecution, and one day it will be, ICXC NIKA

Not directly, but for Americans, presidential terms are a handy measure of sociological time.

And before the current term, we didn’t have “knockout games,” etc.

ICXC NIKA

Didn’t realize a said it did…:confused:

Thanks, you got the point.

Agreed.

Agreed:
We gonna order take out and when we see the driver
We gonna stick the 25 up in his face…
White boy in the wrong place at the right time
Soon as the car door open up he mine
We roll up quick and put the pistol to his nose
By the look on his face he probably shitted in his clothes
You know what this is, it’s a stick up
Gimme the do’ from your pickups
You ran into the wrong niggaz

Artist: DEAD PREZ
Song: HELL YEAH
Album: RBG: Revolutionary But Gangsta
Genre: Hip-hop
Label: SONY

Hopefully, this supervisor receives some repercussions for his actions.

He got fired.

Krissah Thompson of The Washington Post reports that on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show,” which has an estimated 8 million radio listeners, Joyner, who is black, said, “Stick together, black people.” The show reaches one in four African-American adults. Joyner went even further on his blog, writes Thompson: “Let’s not deal with the facts right now,” he said. “Let’s deal with just our blackness and pride – and loyalty. We have the chance to re-elect the first African-American president, and that’s what we ought to be doing. And I’m not afraid or ashamed to say that as black people, we should do it because he’s a black man.”

splashurl.com/laqmtkz

Evansville Indiana man shot in abdomen, expected to survive.

courierpress.com/news/2014/may/30/police-evansville-man-shot-early-friday-morning/

The incident happened about 1:45 a.m. on Friday near the intersection of Adams and Kentucky avenues. Bender told investigators he was walking home when a group of black men in a red Pontiac car approached him.

Bender, who is white, told police that the men in the car yelled several racial slurs at him before one of them shot him, according to the department news release.

Just happened at the end of May.

I’m not sure the reasoning of why folks would be posting links related to rap music and crimes where youth allegedly used racist language.

Do you guys feel that white folks are getting picked on or something?

Clearly in the OP this individual shows how overt racism continues.

Why does the fact that racism is practiced against blacks require a “tit for tat” posting.

I could go and join your tit for tat- though it would be fruitless- and post current crimes where black folks are targeted but where would that get us- besides a closed thread- which may be the goal anyway. :shrug:

We agree with you that racism is alive and well. We in fact are helping prove your case.

What was your purpose in starting this thread?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.